A mother has been left fighting for her life after developing a rare infection from a life-threatening flesh-eating bug while dipping her legs in the ocean.
Bonita Fetterman was airlifted to hospital on Sunday morning and was left needing surgery to cut away the diseased flesh to stop it spreading.
The woman came in contact with the bacteria at Myrtle Beach, a vacation resort on South Carolina's Atlantic coast, according to a Facebook post by her daughter.
It is possible – going from similar stories – that she has necrotising fasciitis, a serious infection that ravages tissue.
Marsha Barnes Beal uploaded a post – which has had more than 78,000 shares – to say her mother, who is in the intensive care unit, is in a serious but stable condition and asking people to pray for her mother.
Scroll down for video
Marsha Barnes Beal shared a picture on Facebook of her mother's ravished leg
She wrote: 'Please remember my Mama, in prayer. She was airlifted to Chapel Hill earlier today.
'She's now in ICU, heavily sedated, and on a breathing machine. However, she is stable!
Ms Fetterman was airlifted to hospital on Sunday morning, according to the post
Daughter Marsha Barnes Beal asked people to 'Please remember my Mama, in prayer'
She shared a picture of her mother in hospital where she was treated in intensive care
Marsha (pictured) revealed her mother was heavily sedated
'She came in contact with a life threatening flesh eating bacteria after putting her feet in the water at Myrtle Beach!
'Surgery is the only