Suicide attacker kills 'at least 100' at Afghan mosque 

A suicide bomber stormed into the largest Shiite Muslim mosque in Afghanistan's Herat province, killing at least 20 and wounding dozens more, said the provincial governor's spokesman Jalani Farhad.

Mehdi Hadid, a politician from Herat who went to the site soon after the explosion, said the scene was one of horrific carnage, suggesting that at least 100 dead and wounded were scattered throughout the mosque.

The attack took place in the middle of evening prayers when the Jawadya mosque was packed with about 300 worshippers.

Abdulhai Walizada, a local police spokesman, said there appeared to be more than one attacker, with a suicide bomber who detonated explosives and another who threw grenades at worshippers.

A suicide bomber and a gunman killed more than 20 people at a Shiite mosque in Afghanistan's main western city of Herat on August 1, the latest attack to highlight a deteriorating security situation in the country

A suicide bomber and a gunman killed more than 20 people at a Shiite mosque in Afghanistan's main western city of Herat on August 1, the latest attack to highlight a deteriorating security situation in the country

Relatives assist a wounded man in a hospital after a suicide attack on the Jawadya mosque on Tuesday evening

Relatives assist a wounded man in a hospital after a suicide attack on the Jawadya mosque on Tuesday evening

The attack took place in the middle of evening prayers when the Jawadya mosque was packed with about 300 worshippers. Pictured above, relatives assist a wounded man after the attack

The attack took place in the middle of evening prayers when the Jawadya mosque was packed with about 300 worshippers. Pictured above, relatives assist a wounded man after the attack

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the latest attack to hit Afghanistan, which has seen more than 1,700 civilian deaths so far this year.

Shiites are a minority in Afghanistan and have been threatened by the affiliate of the Islamic State group that operates in the country's east. 

At Herat Main Hospital, Dr Mohammed Rafique Shehrzai confirmed 20 bodies were brought to the hospital in Herat city, the capital of western Herat province, soon after the blast.

'More than 20 bodies, and more than 30 wounded have so far been brought to the hospital,' after the mosque attack, Rafeeq Shirzai, a spokesman for the hospital, told AFP.  

Herat police spokesman Abdul Ahad Walizada said the assault happened around 8.00pm local time when 'a terrorist attack was carried out on a (Shiite) mosque in the third security district of Herat city'.

A wounded man rests on a vehicle after the attack on the largest Shiite Muslim mosque in Afghanistan's Herat province

A wounded man rests on a vehicle after the attack on the largest Shiite Muslim mosque in

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Man accused of working with White House to push 'fake news', distract from ... mogaznewsen
NEXT Prince Charles salutes Passchendaele heroes