The body of a missing Swedish journalist is not on board a crowdfunded submarine that sank off the Danish coast on Friday, police have revealed.
Officers had been hoping to find the remains of 30-year-old Kim Wall on board the wreckage of the UC3 Nautilus submarine which was wrecked in Copenhagen harbour on Friday.
Miss Wall was last seen on board the vessel with amateur builder Peter Madsen who is now being held on suspicion of negligent manslaughter.
Danish investigators say they have found evidence the Nautilus was sunk deliberately as they continue land and sea searches for any sign of Miss Wall, Swedish newspaper Expressen reports.
The body of missing journalist Kim Wall, 30, is not on board a submarine that sank in Copenhagen harbour after she was last seen on board, police say
Peter Madsen, who built the submarine himself before inviting Miss Wall along for the maiden voyage, is still under investigation for negligent manslaughter as investigators say there is evidence it was wrecked deliberately
The UC3 Nautilus was raised from the bottom of Copenhagen harbour on Saturday night where it had been under 8m (24ft) of water since sinking on Friday morning
The freelance reporter boarded the sub, which was built by Madsen, on Thursday night in order to write a story about it.
On Friday morning the Danish Navy were scrambled to help the stricken sub, before reporting it sunk at 10.45am.
Madsen claims he was the only one on board at the time, and that he dropped Miss Wall off at the mouth of the harbour shortly after 10pm the previous night.
But Danish police on Sunday said he has given them several conflicting accounts of what had happened, without elaborating further.
Miss Wall's family and boyfriend have not heard from her since she boarded the submarine and police have been unable to contact her.
Around the time he claimed to have dropped Miss Wall off, Madsen sent a mysterious text to a friend saying she had left the vessel and cancelling a trip he was supposed to be taking on the submarine the following day, according to local reports.
He did not respond to questions from the friend about why he had dropped Miss Wall off or why the trip was being cancelled.
Madsen was arrested on manslaughter charges on Saturday before a judge ordered that he be held in custody while investigations are carried out.
Despite not finding Miss Wall's body, Danish investigators are continuing to search in water and on land for any sign of her
Madsen claims he dropped Miss Wall off at the mouth of the harbour and was the only one on board when his craft (pictured right) sank
Miss Wall's family have not heard from her and police say they have been unable to contact her since she boarded the submarine (pictured overnight Saturday) on Thursday
Speaking to reporters at court, Madsen said 'there is something I really want to tell you later', without