The coronavirus pandemic has left the future of many TV shows hanging in the balance, with older actors banned from soaps, Love Island contestants forced to stop 'slathering over each other' and I'm A Celebrity unable to even get to the Australian jungle
Following a candid Q&A with ITV boss Kevin Lygo on Thursday, as well as comments from Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two host Zoe Ball, light has been shed on what UK TV could have in store after the pandemic.
A host of measures are being put in place by TV chiefs to help keep things running as normal once the pandemic is over, however a number of changes are being made, which will change the face of television.
In recent weeks, it has been revealed what will happen on some of TV's most popular shows, including older soap stars being banned from set - such as Coronation Street icon Bill Roache, 88 - the cancellation of Love Island for fear of 'sending the wrong message' and no live audiences on the Strictly set.
So what will become of TV's biggest hits?
Shocker: In recent weeks, it has been revealed what will happen on a host of TV's most popular shows, including older soap stars being banned from set - such as Coronation Street icon Bill Roache, 88 (pictured in 2011)
CORONATION STREET AND EMMERDALE
On Thursday, ITV confirmed that both Coronation Street and Emmerdale are running out of episodes and have just weeks left on air. Channel boss Kevin Lygo confirmed that Emmerdale will remain on screens until the end of May, while Corrie will stay on air until the end of June.
Worries: On Thursday, ITV confirmed that both Coronation Street and Emmerdale are running out of episodes and have just weeks left on air
Last month both soaps cut down their weekly broadcast of episodes as they were forced to halt production due to the coronavirus pandemic. Speaking during an online Q and A at the Edinburgh TV Festival, Kevin revealed that are currently plans for Emmerdale to stay on air until the end of May.
The soap recently cut its weekly broadcasts from seven episodes to just three to try and ration episode the cast had already filmed. Meanwhile Coronation Street is set to finish its bank of filmed episodes at the end of June, meaning both soaps could go off-air by the summer.
Kevin confirmed that there are plans being put in place so they could resume filming of some capacity once lockdown restrictions are eased.
He added that it's likely older cast members won't return to set for sometime, saying; 'I don't want Ken Barlow to get sick.'
Future: Earlier this week, sources claimed Strictly may go ahead this autumn without its usual studio audience cheering on the performers (2019 winners Oti Mabuse and Kelvin Fletcher pictured)
STRICTLY COME DANCING
Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two host Zoe Ball is convinced the competition series will air this year. Despite plans still being up in the air, the presenter, 49, has insisted producers will do whatever it takes to get the BBC favourite to return to screens in the coming months.
'I spoke to some people and they will do anything and everything to make sure that show goes on', the TV and radio star shared. The media personality told The Sun: 'We are in tough times with the Coronavirus but where there is a will, there is away. I feel like they will come through.
'Whatever happens, it'll air somehow': Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two host Zoe Ball (pictured last year) is convinced the competition series will air this year
'Whatever happens with the situation I know that they are going to put that show on somehow. It might not have a studio audience, it might be slightly different.'
Earlier this week, sources claimed Strictly may go ahead this autumn without its usual studio audience cheering on the performers. Comparing the series to RuPaul's Drag Race during a virtual production meeting, BBC's director of content Charlotte Moore said: 'People think if it is a shiny floor it needs an audience and I don't think that's necessarily true.'
The Strictly set-up has included a live audience since the show first aired back in 2004, when it was fronted by Tess Daly and Bruce Forsyth, who retired from the show and was replaced by Claudia Winkleman from 2014.
Bosses are reportedly offering doubled fees to celebrities as they continue to assess show contingency plans amid the global crisis. Sources claimed TV executives are keen for the series 'to remain the jewel in the BBC's crown' and have already put forward contract proposals in a bid to attract a 'stellar line-up'.
Taking a break: Kevin Lygo confirmed on Thursday ITV may abandon plans for a summer series this year, dismissing claims a new series could be filmed in the UK (the cast of the first winter series pictured in February)
Love Island 2020 could be axed as it would send the wrong signal during the coronavirus lockdown, ITV bosses have revealed. Channel head Kevin confirmed they may abandon plans for a summer series this year as it would feel inappropriate to have its stars 'slavering all over each other' while the country adheres to social distancing .
It comes as Kevin also ruled out talks that a new series of Love Island could be filmed in the UK, despite reports the iconic villa could be moved to Cornwall. Kevin admitted they're at a point when they have to decide whether to go ahead with Love Island this year.
Uh oh: The channel boss added that they wouldn't want to send the wrong signal to viewers when the country is asked to stay and home and keep at least two metres apart. What signal might it be sending out if we're doing a show where everyone is crammed together slavering over each other?'
During a virtual interview hosted by the Edinburgh TV Festival, he said: 'We're approaching the moment of is it feasible?