By Jack Newman For Mailonline
Published: 00:46 BST, 2 May 2020 | Updated: 01:20 BST, 2 May 2020
Sir Michael Palin has revealed he accidentally set fire to his house while he was relaxing following his recent heart surgery.
The Monty Python legend, 76, was recuperating at home after open-heart surgery in September to repair two valves.
The comedian was told to relax for three months but this didn't go quite according to plan after he set his kitchen ablaze.
Lucky escape: Michael Palin, 76, revealed he set his kitchen on fire while recovering at home from heart surgery (pictured May 2019)
A piece of kitchen paper caught fire on the gas and an 86-year-old neighbour who had recently had a sextuple by-pass had to pull Sir Michael from the window of the burning room.
Writing in Idler Magazine , the TV personality said he initially tried to smother the flames with a hand towel but this only made things worse.
He said: 'As flames licked up towards the ceiling, I dialed the emergency services – but the moment we connected, the smoke alarm went