Former X Factor stars including Jedward and Katie Waissel have reacted to news that the show has been axed after 17 years with glee.
On Wednesday evening, it was reported that Simon Cowell, 61, has pulled the plug on the ITV talent show - which launched in 2004 and last aired in 2018 - because he doesn't want the programme to 'become a bit of a joke.'
Hot on the heels of the news, the Irish twins, who shot to fame on the show in 2008, penned: 'Xfactor has been axed Mission Complete', while Katie, who appeared in 2010, shared the MailOnline's news alert and wrote: 'Journey for justice'.
Katie, earlier this year, claimed she was sexually assaulted by somebody on the X Factor team, years after appearing on the show while Jedward have been open in their criticism of the show and its treatment of stars.
Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
Backlash: Former X Factor stars including Jedward and Katie Waissel (pictured) have reacted to news that the show has been axed after 17 years with glee
The decision to axe the show comes hot on the heels of former contestants hitting out against the British music industry for 'exploiting' and treating them like 'cattle' since their overnight rise to fame.
2010 X Factor star Rebecca Ferguson, 35, has called for an urgent parliamentary inquiry to help protect young and emerging artists and an independent tribunal to hold those responsible for poor treatment within the industry to account.
Her fellow contestant Cher Lloyd, 27, and double act Jedward, both 29, who appeared on the show the previous year, have also hit out at the industry and claimed they were also poorly treated.
Discussing her alleged assault, Katie, 35, said the incident happened in the US when she met the person to talk about recording work.
Surprise success: Hot on the heels of the news, the Irish twins, who shot to fame on the show in 2008, penned: 'Xfactor has been axed Mission Complete', while Katie, who appeared in 2010, shared the MailOnline's news alert and wrote: 'Journey for justice'
Happy: Jedward delighted in the news and branded the announcement 'Mission Complete'
Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
Happy: Katie, who appeared in 2010, shared the MailOnline's news alert and wrote: 'Journey for justice'
The singer said if she could change the past, she would never have appeared on the singing contest.
A spokesperson for Syco Entertainment said at the time: 'We were made aware via the media of Katie's claims in Autumn 2017 and we immediately contacted her and began an investigation.
'We were naturally shocked at the allegations and wanted to do anything we could to help – so we asked her to lodge a complaint with us and detail the allegations for that purpose. In the interim we suspended the accused.
'Despite a number of requests to Katie asking her to detail the claims to us, she chose not to make a complaint over his behaviour. As a result, and without other evidence to the contrary, we were obliged to accept his denial of the claims.
What!? On Wednesday evening, it was reported that Simon Cowell , 61, has pulled the plug on the ITV talent show - which launched in 2004 and last aired in 2018 - because he doesn't want the programme to 'become a bit of a joke' (Simon Cowell, 61, Pictured in 2017)
'We, of course, remain ready and keen to investigate her claims if she so chooses to detail them to us and even though the alleged perpetrator no longer works for either Syco or Sony Music.'
While around the world the format is still successful, it seems the music mogul has accepted in the UK 'it has become slightly stale' and so has reportedly decided to 'shelve it' for five years, but sources are claiming it's now 'unlikely' to ever return.
A show insider told The Sun: 'Globally, it is still a phenomenon and rakes in millions every year. But in the UK, there is no question it has become slightly stale.
Why? Simon is said to have pulled the plug on the ITV talent show because he doesn't want it to 'become a bit of a joke' (Pictured in 2005 with judges Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh)
'Simon remains at the top of his game and knows how to make a hit. He owns the rights to the show, and it's his call — not ITV's — whether or not he drops it.
'Clearly the last thing he wants is for X Factor to fizzle out with a whimper and become a bit of a joke — especially in contrast to the show in its pomp.'
The source explained there is the option for Simon to return the talent show in 2023, which would see auditions take place next summer, however the entrepreneur is thought to be focused on his new game show Walk The Line.
MailOnline has contacted Fremantle and ITV for comment.
Businessman: While around the world the format is still successful, it seems that the music mogul has accepted that in the UK 'it has become slightly stale' (Pictured in 2019)
In March, Dermot O'Leary, 47, told new! magazine of the X Factor: 'I can't see it coming back this year. If it does come back, it'll be 2022 - maybe 2023.'
The presenter admitted he is missing filming the show, which launched in 2004, adding: 'You do miss it, definitely. You work with people for the best part of 10 years and you become a really tight team.
'And you do miss the buzz of a Saturday night show. There's something great about it.'
The father-of-one has hosted the show since 2007, taking over from former host Kate Thornton, who was at the helm from 2004–2006.
Iconic: Simon launched X Factor in in 2004 and last aired in 2018
Dermot has hosted every series since, aside from in 2015 where he was replaced with former contestant Olly Murs and the late Love Island presenter Caroline Flack.
Its last traditional series of X Factor aired back in 2018, with judges Simon, Louis Tomlinson, Robbie Williams and his wife Ayda Field on the judging panel.
Dalton Harris, mentored by former One Direction star Louis, won the series, with Scarlett finishing in second place and Anthony Russell taking third.
Original series: Its last traditional series to air on ITV was back in 2018, where Louis Tomlinson (R) won the series with his act Dalton Harris
Winner: Simon brought one-off series The X Factor: Celebrity to screens in 2019, which was won by Megan McKenna who then landed a record contract with Simon's music label Syco
Simon then brought one-off series The X Factor: Celebrity to screens in 2019, which saw famous faces showcase their vocal talents.
Megan McKenna was crowned the winner of the show and landed a record contract with Simon's major music label, Syco.
The X Factor was then halted in 2020 when coronavirus hit, rendering it impossible to produce the show, which involves mass gatherings for open public auditions.
Farewell for now: In March, Dermot O'Leary, (right), hinted The X Factor may not return until 2023, saying: 'If it does come back, it'll be 2022 - maybe 2023'
Where it all started: Dermot has hosted the show since 2007, taking over from former host Kate Thornton (pictured), who was at the helm from 2004–2006
Part of X Factor's appeal has always been the array of famous faces recruited by Simon to sit with him on the judging panel.
Louis Walsh sat along Simon for a whopping 13 years, from 2004 to 2018 before stepping away from X Factor.
Sharon Osbourne took her place as a judge from 2004 to 2007. She rejoined in 2013, though, and once again in 2016.
Dannii Minogue first appeared on the judging panel in 2007 and remained there for four series, before leaving in 2011.
Cheryl was an X Factor judge from 2008 to 2011. She then returned for the 2014 and 2015 series.
Star line-ip: Part of X Factor's appeal has always been the array of famous faces recruited to sit on the judging panel (pictured Simon, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh in 2006)
Part of the furniture: Louis Walsh sat alongside Simon for a whopping 13 years, from 2004 to 2018 before stepping away (pictured with Cheryl Cole and Dannii Minogue in 2010)
On the panel: Cheryl has had two stints on the show, being an X Factor judge from 2008 to 2011. She then returned for the 2014 and 2015 series (pictured with Simon in 2010)
New faces: N-Dubz's Tulisa Contostavlos joined the panel for 2011 and 2012 with Destiny's Child singer Kelly Rowland also appearing in 2011 (pictured with Louis and Gary Barlow in 2011)
Tulisa Contostavlos was the youngest X factor judge during her time on the show in 2011 and 2012.
Destiny's Child singer Kelly Rowland joined the panel at the same time as Tulisa, in 2011, but only lasted one series.
From 2011-2013, Take That's Gary Barlow actually stepped into Simon Cowell's shoes and replaced him on the judging panel.
Nicole Scherzinger coined the infamous phrase 'Shermazing' during her stints on the judging panel from 2012 to 2014, before returning in 2016 and 2017.
Spice Girl Mel B filled the gap left by Nicole for the 2015 series of X Factor, but Simon decided she was better suited to US audiences and she has since been a judge on America's Got Talent for five series.
Big shoes to fill: From 2011-2013, Take That's Gary Barlow stepped into Simon Cowell's shoes and Nicole Scherzinger also joined the show in 2012 (pictured with Sharon and Louis in 2013)
Pros: Spice Girl Mel B filled the gap left by Nicole for the 2015 series of X Factor, but was later moved to the US version of the show (pictured with Louis, Cheryl and Simon in a promo snap)
Experts: The last traditional series of X Factor aired back in 2018, with judges Simon, Louis Tomlinson,