Wednesday 21 September 2022 04:38 AM Urgent 'popcorn lung' warning to young vapers like Phoebe Burgess trends now
The fresh, crisp air of Bowral has taken on a cherry hue in recent months after Phoebe Burgess started smoking e-cigarettes.
The mother of two, 33, was seen clutching a $30 cherry pomegranate-flavoured vape as she stepped out for coffee in Bellevue Hill, Sydney, on Tuesday.
The ex-wife of NRL great Sam Burgess was holding an IGET Bar vape, which contains 3,500 puffs per device, under her iPhone.
IGET Bar vapes are made in China and are illegal in Australia when they contain nicotine. Each device has the capacity for 7ml e-liquid of 50mg nicotine.
While some consider vapes to be a less harmful alternative to cigarettes, they aren't without their risks.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard launched an anti-vaping campaign back in March, after researched showed an alarming number of teens were picking up the habit.
The fresh, crisp air of Bowral has taken on a cherry hue in recent months after Phoebe Burgess (pictured carrying an IGET vape on Tuesday) started smoking e-cigarettes. While some consider vapes to be a less harmful alternative to cigarettes, they aren't without their risks
The campaign warned young people of the risks and challenged the idea that vaping is okay just because it's healthier than smoking cigarettes.
The government and NSW Health are 'very concerned about the impact of those vapes on young people's lives, particularly on their lungs', Mr Hazzard said.
Vaping damages adult lungs and is of greater concern for developing lungs in teenagers and children, he added.
The minister told a parliamentary hearing the thought of kids picking up the habit was 'atrocious'.
The Get The Facts - Vaping Toolkit targets students aged 14 to 17 and provides resources for teachers, parents and carers to start conversations about the dangers of vaping.
'We know that amongst many young people, e-cigarettes or vapes have been considered safe and certainly safer than cigarettes,' NSW Acting Chief Health Officer Marianne Gale said.
Some consider vapes harmless due to the combination of having a sweet or fruity flavour, being in attractive packaging and their 'vapour' being perceived as water.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard launched an anti-vaping campaign back in March, after researched showed an alarming number of teens were picking up the habit (stock photo)
'It's very important that young people and families understand e-cigarettes are not safe,' Dr Gale said.
'Evidence [and] experts tell us now is that these products are not safe and there are a range of health harms that are associated with vaping.'
Vaping in young people can cause acute effects including heart palpitations, chest pain and irritation to the throat and lungs.
Vapes can also contain nicotine and be highly addictive.
Nicotine has severe negative impacts on the developing brain, as well as affecting memory, mood and mental health.
Phoebe (pictured with ex-husband Sam Burgess in 2017) was seen this week holding an IGET Bar vape, which contains 3,500 puffs per device. IGET Bar vapes are made in China and are illegal in Australia when they contain nicotine
A variety of dangerous additives were also found in vapes including nail polish, insect spray and detergents, Dr Gale said.
A person who vapes is three times more likely to become a smoker.
Vaping has exploded in popularity in recent years - particularly among young Australians - as it doesn't carry the same stigma and price tag as cigarettes.
Chinese-made vapes can be bought for as little as $20 at