Businessman, 43, dies after undergoing hair transplant in India

Businessman, 43, dies after undergoing hair transplant in India and 'suffering allergic reaction' Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a clinic in Mumbai  The 43-year-old, who ran a logistics firm, died the day after the procedure  Mr Choudhary paid 500,000 rupees (£5,400) for the 12-hour hair transplant 

By Stephen Matthews Health Editor For Mailonline

Published: 11:56 GMT, 14 March 2019 | Updated: 13:02 GMT, 14 March 2019

View
comments

An Indian man has died after reportedly suffering an allergic reaction during a hair transplant. 

Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a private clinic in Mumbai, according to local reports. 

The 43-year-old, who ran a logistics firm, died the day after the 12-hour procedure, The Times of India reports. 

Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a private clinic in Mumbai, according to local reports (file photo)

Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a private clinic in Mumbai, according to local reports (file photo)

Mr Choudhary, who allegedly had not told his family about the procedure, paid 500,000 rupees (£5,400) for the hair transplant.

The doctor who treated him told police he asked for 9,000 grafts in one sitting - three times more than recommended.

It is currently unclear whether Dr Vikas Halwai, the dermatologist who treated Mr Choudhary, agreed to the request.

However, Dr Halwai did admit to police that Mr Choudhary began to develop his complications after 3,700 grafts. 

The hair transplant began last Thursday evening, after Mr Choudhary underwent checks. It is thought these were standard safety tests. 

WHAT IS ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK?

Anaphylaxis, also known as anaphylactic shock, can kill within minutes.

It is a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction to a trigger, such as an allergy.

The reaction can often be triggered by certain foods, including peanuts and shellfish.

However, some medicines, bee stings, and even latex used in condoms can also cause the life-threatening reaction.

According to the NHS, it occurs when the immune system overreacts to a trigger. 

Symptoms include: feeling lightheaded or faint; breathing difficulties – such as fast, shallow breathing; wheezing; a fast heartbeat; clammy skin; confusion and anxiety and collapsing or losing consciousness. 

It is considered a medical emergency and requires immediate treatment.

Insect stings are not dangerous for most victims but a person does not necessarily have to have a pre-existing condition to be in danger. 

An incremental

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV NHS crisis: A&E waits spiral to worst ever level AGAIN
NEXT NHS breast cancer screening rates drop to their lowest level in a decade