Mother, 42, wrongly diagnosed with food poisoning on holiday has brain bleed

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

A mother says she is 'lucky to be alive' after doctors on holiday dismissed her brain bleed as just food poisoning.

Caroline Johnson was in Majorca with her family when she had to go to bed with a headache that felt like a 'smack' to the head.

The 42-year-old, who initially thought it may have been sun stroke, retreated to her hotel room in agony and began throwing up.

Hotel reception called a doctor when Mrs Johnson's headache became too much to bear at 4am.

The medic allegedly said she had a dodgy stomach caused by food poisoning - and Mrs Johnson thought nothing more of it.

But back in the UK - and a week after the symptoms started - she collapsed and was rushed to hospital.

Scans showed she'd suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage - a type of stroke caused by an artery in the brain bursting. Doctors rushed her in for emergency surgery.

Caroline Johnson was in Majorca with her family when she had to go to bed with a headache that felt like a 'smack' to the head (pictured with her two sons Jay, nine and Kye, six)

Caroline Johnson was in Majorca with her family when she had to go to bed with a headache that felt like a 'smack' to the head (pictured with her two sons Jay, nine and Kye, six)

But back in the UK - and a week after the symptoms started - she collapsed and was rushed to hospital. Scans showed she'd suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage - a type of stroke caused by an artery in the brain bursting (pictured in hospital)

But back in the UK - and a week after the symptoms started - she collapsed and was rushed to hospital. Scans showed she'd suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage - a type of stroke caused by an artery in the brain bursting (pictured in hospital)

A year on, the former housekeeper from Sheffield is returning to the same hotel in Majorca to 'celebrate being alive'.

Mrs Johnson said: 'It was unbelievable that I’d survived a haemorrhage for seven days. The doctors said that shouldn’t have been the case.

'I’d not been doing anything out of the ordinary. I was just enjoying a wonderful break away from England with my hubby and kids.'

She added: 'I nipped inside to change for the beach when I felt a smack on the back of my head - or something like it.

'The doctor said the headache was probably just food poisoning - which is super serious, mind you, but not what it really turned out to be.

'At every point, I was misdiagnosed, so all I could trust on to get myself checked up properly was myself and me knowing my body.'

Mrs Johnson began to suffer symptoms at around 12pm on June 7 last year, and went to lie down in her room at Cala Ferrera Hotel.

Her husband Phillip, 46, looked after their two sons Jay, nine and Kye, six, while she rested back in the hotel room. 

A year on, the former housekeeper from Sheffield is returning to the same hotel in Majorca to 'celebrate being alive' (pictured with husband Phillip before her brain bleed)

A year on, the former housekeeper from Sheffield is returning to the same hotel in Majorca to 'celebrate being alive' (pictured with husband Phillip before her brain bleed)

Mrs Johnson began to suffer symptoms at around 12pm on June 7 last year, and went to lie down in her room at Cala Ferrera Hotel (pictured with her husband)

Mrs Johnson began to suffer symptoms at around 12pm on June 7 last year, and went to lie down in her room at Cala Ferrera Hotel (pictured with her husband)

Mrs Johnson was surprised her symptoms could be food poisoning but thought nothing more of his 'hasty decision' (pictured with their sons and family friend Akbar)

Mrs Johnson was surprised her symptoms could be food poisoning but thought nothing more of his 'hasty decision' (pictured with their sons and family friend Akbar)

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT Poor people are 42% less likely to suffer from depression or anxiety if they ...