By Mary Kekatos Health Reporter For Dailymail.com
Published: 17:39 BST, 17 July 2019 | Updated: 17:39 BST, 17 July 2019
Evelyn Wooten, 77 (pictured), of Danville, Virginia, was walking on a trail on July 2 with her friend when she was bitten by a bug
A Virginia woman has died after she suffered an allergic reaction to what her friend believes is a bite from the 'kissing bug'.
On July 2, Evelyn Wooten was walking along the Riverwalk Trail in Danville with her friend, Karen Hudgins, when an insect landed on her.
Hudgins told the Danville Register & Bee that she slapped the bug off of Wooten, thinking it was a horsefly.
Within 10 minutes, Wooten, 77, told her friend she needed to sit down.
'She said: "Karen, I can't breathe",' Hudgins told the newspaper. 'I looked back. She looked real pale. She was struggling real hard to breathe.'
Wooten asked her friend to call 911 before she collapsed on the ground.
Hudgins said that, as she dialed, she saw Wooten begin to swell and turn blue.
According to the Register