(fashion) A Texas-mother-of-three said her vaping habit left her hospitalized and in a medically-induced coma.
Sherie Canada, from Abilene, told KTAB that she vaped on-and-off for three years without issue.
However, in June, when she started experiencing a bad cough and chest pain, she thought she just had the flu.
A trip to the hospital eventually revealed she had a build-up of fluid in her lungs and blood clots, forcing doctors to intubate her and place her in a medically-induced coma.
She's now among the nearly 400 people across the country that have come down with severe, mysterious lung illnesses believed to be related to vaping.
Sherie Canada, from Abilene, Texas, says she vaped on-and-off for three years. Pictured: Canada in the hospital with two of her sons
Earlier this year, she started experiencing a bad cough and chest pain. In June, she was diagnosed with pneumonitis, which occurs when the lung tissue becomes inflamed, and given antibiotics. Pictured: Canada in the hospital, left, and at home, right
Canada told KTAB that she began vaping because she believed it was a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes.
However, she quickly became addicted to both the various flavors and to the nicotine.
'I liked it, so I just kept vaping,' Canada said.
Earlier year, she began experiencing a bad cough, chest pains and unexplained weight loss, but assumed she had the flu or a stomach bug.
In June, after a couple of days of being unable to keep any liquids down and struggling to breathe, she was taken to an emergency care center.
Canada was rushed to the emergency room, where doctors found a build-up of fluid