Florida woman who thinks her beloved shih tzu died from mystery dog disease ... trends now
A woman who believes her dog died of the new 'mysterious' dog virus spreading across the US is issuing a warning to other pet parents on how to keep their dogs safe.
Trang Huyen believes her shih tzu Chowder, died from the unknown condition that's infected hundreds of dogs across the country and is urging other owners to now avoid crowded dog parks.
Since August, more than 200 dogs have tested positive and several have died from the illness, which first resemble the common virus kennel cough but could turn serious and lead to death, have been documented and possible cases have been reported in Colorado, California, Indiana, Washington and Georgia.
Chowder became sick in October and his symptoms appeared minor until he began struggling to breathe. He died just a few days later.
Now, Ms Huyen says dog owners need 'to take safety precautions, such as limiting time at dog parks and areas with other dogs.'
Chowder became sick in October and his symptoms appeared minor until he began struggling to breathe and died days later
Ms Huyen, from Pensacola, Florida, said: 'It started with a small dry cough and being more lethargic each and every day after that'
According to Ms Huyen, who didn't wish to reveal her age, Chowder's initial symptoms matched the new disease. The dog was lethargic, he refused to eat and had a cough.
Chowder's tongue also turned blue as his symptoms began to worsen.
Ms Huyen, from Pensacola, Florida, said: 'It started with a small dry cough and being more lethargic each and every day after that.
'It did not [seem serious]. Chowder would have seasonal allergies so I thought nothing of it.
'Things started to change when his breathing was much heavier and he did not want to eat or drink.'
The new mystery illness was described by the Oregon Department of Agriculture as an 'atypical canine infectious respiratory disease.'
Reported symptoms of the disease include a cough that can last for weeks, runny eyes and sneezing.
The illness could progress and lead to pneumonia, which can result in death within 36 hours.
While the illness remained a mystery for the first few weeks of its appearance, researchers at the University of New Hampshire believe they have identified the bacteria that's causing it.
Dr David Needle, a