Food safety expert's urgent warning over where you store your condiments as ... trends now

Food safety expert's urgent warning over where you store your condiments as ... trends now
Food safety expert's urgent warning over where you store your condiments as ... trends now

Food safety expert's urgent warning over where you store your condiments as ... trends now

Dr Darin Detwiler, a food safety expert at Northeastern University in Boston and former FDA and USDA food safety advisor, shared tips for storing condiments like mayonnaise

Dr Darin Detwiler, a food safety expert at Northeastern University in Boston and former FDA and USDA food safety advisor, shared tips for storing condiments like mayonnaise

Food safety experts are warning Americans against storing condiments like mayo, pesto, and barbecue sauce in the pantry following an international outbreak of deadly bacteria.

Earlier this month, health officials in Saudi Arabia sounded the alarm after 75 people were sickened with botulism, a rare food-borne pathogen that attacks the body's nerves.

Of these cases, 11 were left hospitalized and 20 needed to be monitored in intensive care. One individual died.

The Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) found that the toxin that causes botulism Clostridium Botulinum, was found in mayonnaise sold at the chain Hamburgini in the capital city Riyadh. 

Dr Darin Detwiler, former FDA and USDA advisor and food safety expert at Northeastern University in Boston, told DailyMail.com that while botulism is rare in the US, 'the severity is high,' making proper condiment storage essential. 

'Condiments, including mayonnaise, can be at risk if not handled or stored properly,' he said.  

Mayonnaise is an egg-based condiment, which leaves it vulnerable to bacteria like C botulinum and salmonella if not stored properly (stock image)

Mayonnaise is an egg-based condiment, which leaves it vulnerable to bacteria like C botulinum and salmonella if not stored properly (stock image)

Claudia Albuquerque Celada was sickened with botulism after eating contaminated soup, which experts believe was from improperly heating it

Doralice Goes was paralyzed after eating pesto contaminated with botulism

Claudia Albuquerque Celada (left) and Doralice Goes (right) were both infected with botulism and paralyzed after eating contaminated food

Botulism is caused by a toxin released by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, which is normally found in mostly harmless spores in soil, marine areas, and on the surface of foods like fruits, vegetables, and seafood. 

These bacteria make spores, which act like protective coatings, which are usually harmless. 

However, warm and wet tight spaces lacking oxygen - such as plastic jars and cans - can lead to the bacteria to release toxins that attack the central nervous system.

Condiments at risk of foodborne illness 
Mayonnaise Aioli Pesto Barbecue sauce Ketchup Mustard Salsa Horseradish Nut butters Tahini Jam Jelly

After opening these ingredients, store in a refrigerator. The exact times vary, but many last for several weeks or months when properly refrigerated 

Advertisement

The CDC

read more from dailymail.....

NEXT Simple DIY saliva test that could help pick up prostate cancer before symptoms ... trends now