Teenager rushed to hospital with collapsed lung after vaping the equivalent of ... trends now

Teenager rushed to hospital with collapsed lung after vaping the equivalent of ... trends now
Teenager rushed to hospital with collapsed lung after vaping the equivalent of ... trends now

Teenager rushed to hospital with collapsed lung after vaping the equivalent of ... trends now

A 'terrified' dad is warning parents about the life-threatening dangers of vaping after his teenage daughter burst a hole in her lung — as she smoked the equivalent of 400 cigarettes a week.

Mark Blight rushed Kyla Blight to hospital during the early hours on May 11 after receiving a phone call that she had collapsed and turned 'blue' while sleeping over at a friend's house.

After her heart nearly stopped beating, the 17-year-old underwent surgery for five and a half hours to remove part of her lung.

A small air blister known as a pulmonary bleb had developed on the top of Kyla's lungs and it is thought her excessive vaping caused this to burst and led to her lung collapsing.

The student, who began vaping at just 15, believed the habit to be 'harmless' and would get through an entire 4,000 puff vape a week, which is the nicotine equivalent of 400 cigarettes.

Kyla Blight suffered a collapsed lung after vaping the equivalent of 400 cigarettes

Kyla Blight suffered a collapsed lung after vaping the equivalent of 400 cigarettes

Kyla has vowed never to touch vapes again after her life-threatening ordeal

Kyla has vowed never to touch vapes again after her life-threatening ordeal

Kyla's dad Mark is warning parents about the dangers of disposable vapes after watching his teenage daughter nearly die from the side effects

Kyla's dad Mark is warning parents about the dangers of disposable vapes after watching his teenage daughter nearly die from the side effects

After her surgery, Kyla had to spend a two further weeks in hospital before she could return home. 

She now says the ordeal has frightened her off disposable vapes for the rest of her life.

Full-time carer Mark took to Facebook to spread awareness of his daughter's life-threatening experience, urging young people to throw away their vapes because 'it's not worth it'.

Dad-of-nine Mark, who lives in Egremont, Cumbria, said: 'I've been to hell and back with Kyla over the last couple of weeks. I just put it down to vaping, they can't put it down to anything else but vaping that's caused this.

'She was at a friend's house and I got a phone call at 4am that she had collapsed and gone blue. I went round for her. We took her down to the hospital.

'Her lung collapsed this time due to the hole. They put a drain in her. She's a little girl who doesn't like needles. She screamed. She was close to having a cardiac arrest.

'They rushed us into Newcastle and she had the operation on Tuesday. It was a five and a half hour operation. She'd had a seizure on the operating table.

'I was talking to the surgeon and he was saying about these blebs that can form on the lungs. They think it is the throw-away vapes that burst these blebs and

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Equality watchdog ignoring 'institutional ageism' in the NHS in favour of sex, ... trends now
NEXT Simple DIY saliva test that could help pick up prostate cancer before symptoms ... trends now