An 18-month-old was hospitalized after ingesting marijuana in his parents' home in San Diego, California.
The toddler was taken to Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center on Sunday evening and a nurse reported him to be lethargic, according to Fox 5 News.
Police are investigating neglect and child abuse charges for the toddler's parents because the marijuana was available for him to ingest.
The boy has since been transferred to Rady Children’s Hospital and his condition remains unclear.
Experts warn that children ingesting marijuana is on the rise in states across the United States and could cause harmful effects on their health in the long-term.
A toddler in San Diego was hospitalized after ingesting marijuana. Children under 12 can experience adverse effects if they ingest the substance because of their size and weight. States such as Colorado have seen an increase in children ingesting marijuana
Acute intoxication of marijuana can be harmful for children under the age of 12 because of their size and weight.
'Edible' marijuana has stronger effects than when it is smoked or vaporized.
Children who accidentally ingest the drug are at risk of acute intoxication because they aren't large enough to handle the drugs effects.
Symptoms will also last longer when ingested because the marijuana has to be digested through the