A 'bubbly' and 'amazing' teenager has died after a hairball that was lodged in her stomach became infected.
Jasmine Beever, 16, from Skegness, collapsed at college last week and was sent home to rest - but she later came out in 'blotches'.
Doctors fought to keep her alive when she was rushed to hospital. They managed to resuscitate her for 15 minutes, but she lost her battle later that evening.
A post mortem has since revealed she had peritonitis, which is an inflammation of a thin layer of tissue in the abdomen.
The pathologist revealed that Jasmine had a hairball in her stomach which became infected, causing the inflammation.
Tributes have flooded in for Jasmine, who had been sucking and chewing on her own hair for many years - often a sign of 'Rapunzel syndrome' - on Facebook.
Jasmine Beever (left), 16, from Skegness, collapsed at college last week and was sent home to rest - but she later died that evening (pictured with her best friend Billy Jo Ashwell)
One friend wrote: 'God took an angel last night. I hope you're cuddled and kept real tight. Miss ya already. Our clingon. Sleep tight.'
Just days before the year 12 student passed away, on September 7, she attended the funeral of her grandfather.
Her best friend Billy Jo Ashwell, who has known Jasmine since nursery, has decided to raise money to help her family. So far the campaign has raised £1,117.
Tributes have flooded in
Billy's mother, Donna Marshall, said that she will never forget the 'darling' teenager. She described the death as 'awful'. She said on Facebook that Jasmine had been 'sucking and chewing her hair for years'.
Miss Marshall said: 'Jasmine was amazing. She was one of those kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile. She was so bubbly.
'She was friends with Billy and she would always shout across the road to me "Donna are you okay?"