Woman was nearly blinded by a Christmas card

Unnamed woman suffered a swollen eyelid, loss of vision and a painful, red eye Doctors thought she had a herpes infection until they found glitter in her cornea It is unclear how it entered her eye but may have been rubbed off her hands The glitter was successfully removed and the patient discharged from hospital Report warns doctors should always ask patients about the cause of their injury 

By Alexandra Thompson Health Reporter For Mailonline

Published: 14:36 GMT, 3 January 2018 | Updated: 14:36 GMT, 3 January 2018

View
comments

A woman was nearly blinded by a Christmas card when a piece of glitter entered her eyeball.

The unnamed woman, 49, was referred to an eye casualty department by her GP after suffering a loss of vision, a swollen eyelid and a painful, red eye.

After initially thinking the patient had a herpes infection, closer inspection revealed a clump of glitter had damaged her cornea, which is the transparent front part of the eye.

It is unclear how the glitter entered the patient's eye but may have been accidentally rubbed in if it was on her fingers.

The glitter was successfully removed and the patient, believed to be from Swansea, was discharged with antibiotics.  

A woman was nearly blinded by a Christmas card when glitter entered her eyeball (stock)

A woman was nearly blinded by a Christmas card when glitter entered her eyeball (stock)

HOW TO SPOT SERIOUS

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Five reasons why we overeat - and how to stop gorging
NEXT health care The company that popularized cutting carbs wants you to think lifestyle, not ...