By Kieran Jackson For Mailonline
Published: 00:48 BST, 24 October 2020 | Updated: 00:50 BST, 24 October 2020
FA chairman Greg Clarke is under pressure to reveal his full involvement in the Project Big Picture proposals after he reportedly initiated the process with Chelsea chief Bruce Buck in January.
Two days after the proposals were leaked to The Telegraph, Clarke was highly critical of the plans to reshape English football, revealing he 'discontinued his involvement' in late spring 'when the principal aim of these discussions became the concentration of power and wealth in the hands of a few clubs with a breakaway league mooted as a threat.'
But The Guardian are now reporting that Clarke initiated the whole process back in January, in a meeting with Buck who later invited Ed Woodward, John Henry and Rick Parry - who are the leading execs at Manchester United, Liverpool and the EFL respectively.
FA chairman Greg Clarke is under pressure to clarify his full involvement in Project Big Picture
Clarke reportedly met Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck to first discuss the proposals in January
The report states that the FA chairman is understood to have attended every meeting held between February and May 19, the date of the last meeting.
It adds that Clarke said in a document written in March that the coronavirus crisis, as well as the threat of a European club breakaway, 'offers an opportunity to reshape English football.'
By the end of April, the proposals were said to be very similar to the ones eventually leaked on October 11.
Last week, EFL chairman Parry accused Clarke of instigating the divisive Project Big Picture, which included radical proposals for a Premier League 2 and B teams in the EFL.
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters was also invited but declined to go because he would not attend an informal meeting that did not involve