sport news Lewis Hamilton backtracks on promise to pull out of Miami Grand Prix by ...

sport news Lewis Hamilton backtracks on promise to pull out of Miami Grand Prix by ...
sport news Lewis Hamilton backtracks on promise to pull out of Miami Grand Prix by ...

Lewis Hamilton backed down over his promise to boycott the Miami Grand Prix — by removing all the jewellery he could.

Only three hours earlier, the seven-time world champion said he would pull out of the event if Formula One's ruling FIA insisted he take off his earrings and studs.

In a defiant statement of intent, he had worn eight rings, four necklaces, three watches, two bracelets, two earrings and a nose stud while undertaking his media duties in the underbelly of the Hard Rock Stadium.

Lewis Hamilton backed down over his promise to boycott the Miami Grand Prix — by removing all the jewellery he could

Lewis Hamilton backed down over his promise to boycott the Miami Grand Prix — by removing all the jewellery he could

Hamilton's initial stance put him at odds with FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem, who has instructed officials in America to enforce a long-standing ban on jewellery in the cockpit. The rule has not been applied throughout Hamilton's career.

Although Ben Sulayem cites safety concerns, some observers feel the crusade is an ad hominem attack on Hamilton, the sport's most extravagant jewellery wearer. Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel said he believed his British rival was being targeted.

Race director Niels Wittich, who insisted on the ban in the DTM series he previously governed, is in alignment with his president. They laid out their position in a scrutineering document published on Thursday night. To which Hamilton replied: 'If they stop me then so be it. We've got a spare driver. We're well prepped for the weekend. There's lots to do in the city anyway, so it will be good either way.'

Nyck de Vries, a 27-year-old Dutchman who competes in Formula E, was on standby. But Hamilton, in a swift U-turn, agreed to a medical examination at the track and then whipped out his earrings prior to first practice, leaving in only a nose stud, and possibly another appendage in an unidentified part of his anatomy.

In a defiant statement of intent, he wore eight rings, four necklaces, three watches, two bracelets, two earrings and a nose stud to undertake his media duties in the underbelly of the Hard Rock Stadium

In a defiant statement of intent, he wore eight rings, four necklaces, three watches, two bracelets, two earrings and a nose stud to undertake his media duties in the underbelly of the Hard Rock Stadium

He says these studs cannot be removed easily and has been granted a two-race exemption to keep them in place while he looks into possible solutions.

He had previously claimed his earrings were also permanent — an argument that has now been shown up as hollow.

The FIA insisted: 'The wearing of jewellery in the form of body piercing or metal neck chains is prohibited during the competition and may, therefore, be checked before the

read more from dailymail.....

PREV From a Celtic star to the iron man of Indonesia, the pathway for footballers ...
NEXT sport news England: Jordan Pickford's spot in Three Lions side is under threat with ...