A woman has died of a heart attack after undergoing a controversial cleansing procedure.
Natasha Lechner went into cardiac arrest after participating in a 'kambo ceremony' in her home in Mullumbimby, in northern NSW, on March 8.
The treatment involves applying kambo, a discharge emitted from an Amazonian green tree frog, onto the skin after it is burned with a stick.
However, after Ms Lechner's ceremony, the 39-year-old's body temperature plummeted and she passed out.
After another participant called an ambulance, but she couldn't be revived and was pronounced dead at 11.15am.
Natasha Lechner, 39, (pictured) went into cardiac arrest after participating in a 'kambo ceremony' in her home in Mullumbimby, in northern NSW, on March 8
Kambo, although controversial, is a growing trend that is said to purge the body of toxins by making its participants vomit.
Ms Lechner's twin brother, Christian, said his sister's debilitating back pain, which she had been dealing with for more than 20 years, led her to the alternative therapy.
'She was a hairdresser for 20 years and had sciatica and a crushed vertebrae and often cried in pain, she needed back surgery and high doses of pain killers,' he told The Daily Telegraph.
'I think she went on a path and began to search for more biologically friendly medicines.'
Ms Lechner was heavily involved in crystals, tarot and spiritual ceremonies and chased alternative therapies after suffering from severe back pain for more than 20 years
Her brother, Christian (pictured right with Ms Lechner) said it was her 'conscious decision'to undergo the Kambo ceremony
- Kambo is a poison used as a traditional medicine in purging or cleansing rituals
- It is a waxy substance collected by scraping the skin of an Amazonian tree frog
- The skin is blistered in several places with a hot stick and small amounts of kambo are applied to open wounds
- Symptoms after kambo are strong and immediate and can include severe vomiting, dizziness, fainting, swollen lips or face