Couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to reverse car into ...

A couple who were car enthusiasts died from carbon monoxide poisoning after reversing a classic Mercedes Benz into a protective plastic bag, an inquest heard.

William Reid, 67, and his partner Kathryn Workman, 70, were overcome by fumes in the garage near their home in High Seaton, Workington, Cumbria.

Post-mortems found Mr Reid had died from poisoning by carbon monoxide, while Mrs Workman died by hypoxic brain injury due to poisoning by the toxic fumes. 

During a two-day inquest in Cockermouth, Cumbria, a court heard Mr Reid had collected and restored classic cars for years before the fatal incident on October 22, 2017.

William Reid, 67, and his partner Kathryn Workman, 70, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after reversing their classic Mercedes Benz into a protective plastic bag in their garage in High Seaton, Workington, Cumbria

William Reid, 67, and his partner Kathryn Workman, 70, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after reversing their classic Mercedes Benz into a protective plastic bag in their garage in High Seaton, Workington, Cumbria

He had recently acquired a Mercedes from the United States and opted to store the vehicle in a large plastic bag to protect it during the winter months. 

The retired lorry driver attempted to reverse it into the bag with the help of Mrs Workman while in their garage located below road level at the bottom of a slope and attached to the house next door. 

However, Mr Reid was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes - which is odourless - and became unconscious, an inquest heard.

Mrs Workman entered the bag to help her partner but was also affected by the fumes, although she managed to crawl back out and call emergency services.

She was initially told to keep away from the area by a call handler due to the risk of carbon monoxide intoxication.

While Mrs Workman was on the phone, confusion about what was happening in the garage led to the operator then advising her to get as near as possible to her partner and try to treat him.

Mrs Workman tried to wake Mr Reid but was unable to and shortly after stopped responding on the call, an inquest heard.

North West Ambulance Service paramedic Ben Sayner was first on the scene near the couple's home following a dispatch at around 12pm.

Mr Sayner explored the property but due to the unusual location of the garage, it was not until his partner arrived that they discovered the unconscious couple.

Mr Reid, who had purchased the Mercedes from the United States, had been reversing the vehicle into a large  bag when he was overcome by the fumes. His wife then entered the bag to help her partner but was also affected by the fumes. Pictured: The couple with their Mercedes 500 SL at Silloth Vintage Rally in 2007

Mr Reid, who had purchased the Mercedes from the United

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT Protesters set fire to U.S. Embassy in Honduras in second day of demonstrations