By Andrew Court For Dailymail.com
Published: 01:44 BST, 3 May 2019 | Updated: 01:44 BST, 3 May 2019
An ophthalmologist has shared shocking photos to caution his clients about the dangers of leaving their contact lenses in while they sleep.
Dr. Patrick Vollmer, from Vita Eye Clinic in Shelby, North Carolina, took to Facebook this week to post stomach-churning images of a woman who had her cornea eaten away by bacteria after she frequently left her lenses in overnight.
In a post which has now been viewed by more than 30 million people, the woman's eyes are seen glazed over as ooze with thick, yellow puss.
A North Carolina ophthalmologist has shared shocking photos of one his patients suffering from a condition that came about after she failed to remove her contact lenses before sleep
Dr Vollmer explains that the condition is a 'cultured pseudomonas ulcer' and is 'the direct result of sleeping in contact lenses.'
He states: 'Pseudomonas