By Chiara Fiorillo and Roksana Panashchuk For Mailonline
Published: 14:44 BST, 3 May 2019 | Updated: 14:44 BST, 3 May 2019
A two-year-old boy has died after falling into a cooking pot filled with hot water as his mother was preparing to wash some clothes.
Ivan Maletych died after suffering burns on 70 percent of his body following the incident in the village of Susidovychi in southern Ukraine's Lviv Oblast region.
The boy was ready to be transported to the Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston, United States, for treatment, but his health worsened yesterday as his immune system shut down.
His mother Ivanna Maletych, who blames herself for Ivan's death, said the boy died this morning at 2.45am after fighting for his life for ten days.
Ivan Maletych, pictured in hospital, fought for his life for 10 days after he suffered horrific burns on 70 percent of his body in the village of Susidovychi in southern Ukraine
Vasyl Savchyn, the head of the Lviv Burn Centre hospital, where the boy was, said: 'The boy had a critically low level of white blood cells and his immune system shut down.'
The boy’s mother told local media: 'My little son Ivan has gone. He died today at 2:45 am.'
Doctor Gennadiy Fuzailov from the Boston hospital said: 'The boy had 5 per cent chances of survival in Ukraine. If he had been transported to us in the first