Broken Hill boy dies of toenail infection after series of hospital blunders

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more
() Teenager, 18, who complained of agonising knee pain, dies just 48 hours later after doctors sent him home from hospital THREE times because they failed to spot he had a deadly flesh-eating disease Alex Haes, from Broken Hill,  woke up one night in 2017 with pain in his knee  His dad rushed him to hospital but doctors failed to spot he had an infection  The young man suffered a series of hospital blunders and died 48 hours later  Alex's tragic story features on ABC 's Four Corners on Monday night

By Charlie Moore For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 02:24 BST, 9 September 2019 | Updated: 02:26 BST, 9 September 2019

View
comments

Alex Haes, from Broken Hill in far-west New South Wales, died from an infection

Alex Haes, from Broken Hill in far-west New South Wales, died from an infection

An 18-year-old boy died of an infected toenail after being sent home from hospital three times a series of horrific blunders.

Alex Haes, from Broken Hill in far-west New South Wales, woke up one night in September 2017 with agonising pain in his knee. 

His father took him to Broken Hill Hospital but staff assumed he had a sporting injury and he was told to come back the next morning for an ultra-sound.

He arrived at 8am and had the ultra-sound but the hospital was so busy that no doctor was available to review the results.

Nobody tested Alex's pulse, blood pressure or temperature even though he was in great pain. 

Alex returned at 6pm that night to collect his results and was told that he had a possible torn tendon. 

He went home but the next day was in excruciating pain and called triple zero.

Alex was told there were no ambulances available and so asked his dad to come home from work to drive him to hospital.

When the pair arrived, Alex was in too much pain to walk but it took hospital staff 25 minutes to provide him with a wheelchair so he could get into the building. 

Once inside, Alex's condition deteriorated rapidly until he was only semi-conscious and unable to talk coherently.

Doctors discovered Alex had a deadly flesh-eating disease called necrotising fasciitis which had started in his toenail and was causing his kidneys to fail. Pictured: Broken Hill

Doctors discovered Alex had a deadly flesh-eating disease called necrotising fasciitis which had started in his

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Tarzan actor Ron Ely's wife was stabbed to death by their SON
NEXT SEC fines blockchain company Block.one $24 million over coin offering