Mum issues a stark warning after toddler choked of apple at kindy becomes ...

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

A mother has issued a warning to other parents after her young son was left with severe brain damage after choking on a raw apple slice at his daycare.

Neihana Renata was with his twin sister Aotea at Little Lights Kindy, in Rotorua, New Zealand, when his life changed forever.

He was just 22-months-old when he went from being a bubbly toddler who loved to run and play outside to barely being able to move.

His mother Marama has called for safety standards to be implemented for childcare centres across New Zealand to ensure other children aren't at risk of choking like Neihana.

'Neihana choking was not a "freak accident'',' she said. 

Neihana Renata has been left with severe cerebral palsy after choking on a slice of apple at his daycare

Neihana Renata has been left with severe cerebral palsy after choking on a slice of apple at his daycare

His mother Marama, who is a doctor, got a call from daycare staff saying her son had choked

His mother Marama, who is a doctor, got a call from daycare staff saying her son had choked

Her calls come as the Ministry of Education considers a ban on choke-risk foods in early childhood centres.

While the proposed ban has been called 'over the top' by some, Ms Renata says it is necessary. 

'This is not proposing to ban or puree everything. It's recognising we are not born with the ability to eat all foods, and that with growth, development and teeth, we progress to be able to eat food more skilfully,' she wrote in Stuff.

'Why throw the most difficult foods at them when they have no teeth and expect them to cope with it? There are bound to be casualties – and there are. By age 3, usually children have their second molars which make them much more capable of chewing.'

Neihana had been given a piece of sliced, peeled, raw apple, by the daycare staff, when it became lodged in his throat on May 31, 2016 and he stopped breathing.

He was in cardiac arrest for 30 minutes, resulting in severe cerebral palsy.

'We basically got told we have a boy that can breathe,' his dad Wi Renata told Sunday.

Neihana Renata (pictured) is unable to walk, talk or swallow normally but he still smiles and laughs

Neihana Renata (pictured) is unable to walk, talk or swallow normally but he still smiles and laughs

'(He was) still, no movements, he could open his eyes but there was nothing there. He could just breathe.'

Neihana was in hospital for two months after the horrific incident.

Ms Renata had to give up her career as a doctor to care for her son.

She doesn't blame the

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Suzi Taylor to remain behind bars after being accused of 'honey trapping' ...
NEXT Man and woman start a furious fist fight in Bali as governor warns tourists ...