Chemical exposure at Buffalo Wild Wings kills 1, injures 10

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

Chemical exposure at Buffalo Wild Wings kills 1, injures 10 originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

One person is dead and 10 others have been hospitalized following a chemical incident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Burlington, Massachusetts.

Investigators were called to the restaurant at approximately 6 p.m. on Thursday when they received a report of a chemical reaction in the kitchen.

When authorities arrived, they found an employee who had been exposed to a strong cleaning agent while preparing the floor to be cleaned suffering from nausea after he breathed in fumes from the product.

The unidentified male employee was rushed to Lahey Hospital and later died, according to ABC’s affiliate station in Boston WCVB.

10 more people, including employees and customers, complained of breathing difficulties and eye irritation and were checked into hospital for evaluation.

(MORE: High school football coach resigns after celebration with racial slurs posted on Instagram)

PHOTO: This photo shows the Buffalo Wild Wings in Naperville, Illinois where earlier this week black customers said they were asked to move for another customer who didn't want to sit near them due to their skin color. (AP Photo/Teresa Crawford) (Teresa Crawford/AP)

PHOTO: This photo shows the Buffalo Wild Wings in Naperville, Illinois where earlier this week black customers said they were asked to move for another customer who didn't want to sit near them due to their skin color. (AP Photo/Teresa Crawford) (Teresa Crawford/AP)

PHOTO: This photo shows the Buffalo Wild Wings in Naperville, Illinois where earlier this week black customers said they were asked to move for another customer who didn't want to sit near them due to their skin color. (AP Photo/Teresa Crawford) (Teresa Crawford/AP)

Interim Burlington fire chief Michael Patterson said that the chemical that was involved in the incident was sodium hypochlorite, the main ingredient in bleach.

“This is a common product used in floor cleaning. It was just a reaction that led to this,” said Patterson.

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

“The gentleman that passed away was an employee of Buffalo Wild Wings who attempted to squeegee the product out of the building when he was overcome,” Patterson continued. “Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately.”

Footage filmed by WCVB shows a HAZMAT crew conducting an investigation inside the restaurant with fire crews responding outside the establishment.

According to WCVB, the Occupational Saftey and Health Administration has been informed of the incident.

(MORE: Video shows transgender women being aggressively kicked out of Los Angeles bar after Pride event)

A spokesperson for Buffalo Wild Wings did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment early Friday morning.

Earlier this week a group of black customers at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Naperville, Illinois said they were asked to change tables by employees because of their skin color which led to them being fired for their roles in the incident and the customer being permanently banned from the restaurant.

Story continues

all right reserved for yahoo news

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Global Net Lease: 3Q Earnings Snapshot
NEXT China's top chip maker urges U.S. firms to help ease tensions