UPDATE 1-Buffalo Wild Wings employee dies after exposure to chemical at restaurant

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

(Adds company comment)

Nov 8 (Reuters) - A Buffalo Wild Wings employee died and at least 10 people checked themselves into hospital after being exposed to a strong chemical cleaning agent at a restaurant in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities said on Thursday.

The Burlington fire department responded to a chemical reaction in the kitchen area of the restaurant where a male employee was suffering from nausea, a fire department representative said in a statement.

Media identified the chemical as sodium hypochlorite, a cleaning agent.

"The employee was taken to Lahey Hospital and Medical Center in serious condition after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent. The man later died at the hospital," the department said.

The other patients, including restaurant employees and patrons, complained of difficulty in breathing and burning eyes, the department said.

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

"The gentleman that passed away was an employee of Buffalo Wild Wings, who attempted to squeegee the product out of the building when he was overcome," Assistant Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson told reporters.

There was no threat to public safety, officials said.

"We...are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation," a spokesperson for Buffalo Wild Wings said, but did not share any additional details.

(Reporting by Shubham Kalia in Bengaluru; Editing by Robert Birsel and Arun Koyyur)

all right reserved for yahoo news

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV GLOBAL MARKETS-Trade war caution takes edge of stellar rally in world stocks
NEXT UPDATE 1-Scottish Nationalists float Labour alliance in return for independence vote