By Eliza Mcphee For Daily Mail Australia
Published: 09:50 GMT, 3 December 2019 | Updated: 09:50 GMT, 3 December 2019
Sydney's iconic New Year's Eve fireworks display could potentially be cancelled as petitions for the world famous event to be scrapped gain momentum.
After $5million was spent on the harbour fireworks last year, a series of Change.org petitions are calling for the money to instead be given to bushfires and drought victims.
New South Wales and Queensland have been devastated by wild fires that killed six people and destroyed more than 670 homes.
Sydney's Lord Mayor, Clover Moore, said the fireworks would only happen 'if it's the right thing to do at the time' after a petition asked her to donate some of the funds to the bushfire appeal.
Sydney's New Year's Eve fireworks (pictured) are at risk of being cancelled after petitions gain momentum for the money to go towards those affected by bushfires
'This petition is to respectfully ask Lord Mayor Clover Moore to donate the budget or percentage of profits Sydney NYE Fireworks to the bushfire appeal,' the petition said.
'Four local councils in NSW & QLD have taken the steps to cancel their fireworks and given it would be difficult for Sydney to do this we can make use of the cash maker it is.'
On Tuesday, Ms Moore said the event was important for Sydney as it brought people together.
Should the NYE fireworks be cancelled?Yes 0 votes No 0 votes
Now share your