By Chris Pleasance for MailOnline
Published: 09:12 GMT, 1 January 2020 | Updated: 13:22 GMT, 1 January 2020
A British man was killed on the stroke of midnight in Thailand after a firework exploded in his face.
Gary McLaren, 50, died while ringing in the New Year with his Thai fiancee and friends in the party resort of Pattaya, eastern Thailand, on December 31.
Mr McLaren, who was originally from Corby, Northamptonshire, had been partying at the Miami A Go Go bar before stepping outside and trying to light a 50cm cardboard tube packed with fireworks.
Briton Gary McLaren, 50, (left and right with Thai fiancee Jasmine) died in the party resort of Pattaya on New Year's Eve after lighting a firework which exploded in his face
Mr McLaren had been partying in a go go bar with Jasmine (pictured over his dead body) before stepping outside to light the firework, which began smoking before blowing up
Onlookers said his initial attempts to light the fireworks failed, but he succeeded on a second attempt, causing smoke to pour out of the tube.
The fireworks then exploded in his face, knocking him to the ground.
Police and medics were called and performed chest compressions on Mr McLaren, but he was pronounced dead at the