Sydney Festival thrown into chaos as French megastar cancels her performances ...

Furious Sydney Festival organisers are scrambling to make last minute changes to its line-up after one of its biggest productions pulled out due to health fears about poor air quality. 

Opening Night, staring French megastar Isabelle Adjani, which was due to run at the Sydney Opera House January 21-26 has been cancelled. 

The production company behind the play cited concerns about the city's fire-affected air quality in Sydney as a result of bushfires ravaging New South Wales. 

Deadly bushfires have killed 25 people this season and destroyed or damaged more than 2000 homes so far this season. 

The company's decision to pull the plug just days before the fortnight-long event kicked off was slammed by festival organiser director Wesley Enoch, who says performers won't be paid.

French screen superstar and two-time Oscar nominee Isabelle Adjani (pictured) won't be coming to Australia this month over health concerns about Sydney's poor air quality

French screen superstar and two-time Oscar nominee Isabelle Adjani (pictured) won't be coming to Australia this month over health concerns about Sydney's poor air quality

'Naturally, on behalf of the people of Sydney, we are extremely disappointed,' he said in a statement on the festival's website. 

'We have been in constant communication with all international and Australian based companies in relation to any concerns arising from the current fire situation in NSW and we have been buoyed by their responses.'

'Overwhelmingly, individual artists and companies – both local and from overseas – have responded by asking how they can help or what they can do to support relief efforts once they are on the ground in Sydney for the Festival.' 

'Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and assurances, the Opening Night team has chosen not to come.'

The cancelled theatre production of Opening Night was scheduled to be held at the Sydney Opera House (pictured during poor air quality last month)

The cancelled theatre production of Opening Night was scheduled to be held at the Sydney Opera House (pictured during poor air quality last month)

Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Sydney Festival for further comment. 

Enoch accused Adjani of 'snubbing' Sydney and insists performers from the cancelled production won't be paid. 

'I've been told not to swear. That's how angry I am at this particular situation. It's terrible, absolutely terrible,' he told The Daily Telegraph.

'People are losing their lives in this country. This country is

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Yorkshire spa reopens after deluge with help from locals and Boris Johnson
NEXT Hawaii crash update: Tour copter hit ridge, then fell