By Charlie Coë For Daily Mail Australia and Australian Associated Press
Published: 11:36 GMT, 12 February 2020 | Updated: 11:36 GMT, 12 February 2020
Workers employed by George Calombaris' doomed restaurant empire only found out they had lost their job when he posted about the collapse on Instagram.
Twelve Melbourne venues closed their doors this week after the celebrity chef's MAdE Establishment was put into voluntary administration on Monday, leaving about 400 workers in limbo.
He continues to come under fire this week in the wake of the announcement - the culmination of months of scrutiny for the company after it emerged last year its staff had been underpaid $7.8million.
Scroll down for video
George Calombaris' has come under fire after it emerged workers employed by his doomed restaurant empire only found out they had lost their job when he posted about the collapse on Instagram
The celebrity chef is pictured with wife Natalie Tricarico in 2017
Speaking via the United Workers Union, one anonymous staff member said they were furious they had not been told about the collapse before Calombaris' Instagram post.
'We had to learn the company was going into administration via George's post on Instagram,' the staff member.
'I feel very angry about what's happened. We haven't been told anything.'
The worker also claimed while wages and superannuation entitlements had been paid up to Sunday, annual leave was still outstanding.
'I may have to go home if I can't keep this job,' the anonymous employee in Australia on a temporary visa said.
ACTU president Michele O'Neil meanwhile accused Calombaris of 'shameless' behaviour.
Claiming Calombaris 'stole $8 million from the people who do the hard work in his restaurants', Ms O'Neil accused him in a Facebook video on Wednesday of being 'the poster boy for the employers that were campaigning to cut penalty rates to workers'.
Twelve Melbourne venues closed their doors this week as the celebrity chef announced MAdE Establishment was put into voluntary administration on Monday
'So now more than 400 jobs on the line, at risk because George wasn't prepared to run a fair legal business where he paid workers what they were entitled to,' she said.
'But do you think anything has happened to George? Is he being disqualified, is he being de-registered? No, we don't have a law for that.'