My husband and I tried to take 's miracle cure - now he is dead

The wife of a man who died after they both drank fish tank cleaner chloroquine thinking it was a miracle coronavirus cure Donald  touted has spoken of their confusion and her heartache. 

Banner Health, a non-profit hospital system based in Arizona, issued a statement urging the public against the use of inappropriate medications and household products to prevent or treat COVID-19 on Monday.

That came after the unidentified woman and her husband, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, confusing it with hydroxychloroquine, an antimalaria drug that's shown promising results in treating COVID-19 patients.

The woman told NBC: 'We were afraid we were getting sick. We were getting really worried.' She said they had been self isolating before each taking a teaspoon of the toxic chemical with soda. 

She added: 'We saw his ['s] press conference. It was on a lot, actually. kept saying it was pretty much a cure. 

Referring to hydroxychloroquine she said: 'They kept saying that it was approved for other things.'

A man has died and his wife is under critical care after they ingested chloroquine phosphate, a chemical found commonly found in fish tank cleaner, thinking it was the miracle coronavirus cure President Donald Trump has been touting at his press conferences

A man has died and his wife is under critical care after they ingested chloroquine phosphate, a chemical found commonly found in fish tank cleaner, thinking it was the miracle coronavirus cure President Donald has been touting at his press conferences

The woman, who had chloroquine phosphate in the house because she kept koi fish, added: 'I was in the pantry and i saw it sitting on the back shelf and I said "hey isn't that stuff they were talking about on tv".

Explaining how they both fell ill within minutes, becoming dizzy and hot, she warned: 'He got so bad so fast. Don't take anything. Don’t believe anything that the president says and his people, be so careful. Call your doctor.

'I was holding his hand. He died while they were working on him in ER.

'This is a heartache i will never get over. My husband was my whole life, it feels

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT Half-mile tunnel filled with over 4,000 pounds of drugs found near San Diego