By Emily Crane For Dailymail.com
Published: 14:55 BST, 25 May 2020 | Updated: 14:56 BST, 25 May 2020
President Donald Trump says he has finished taking his prescription of the controversial anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine.
Trump revealed last week that he has been taking the drug for several weeks as a preventative medicine despite a lack of scientific evidence that it wards off coronavirus.
'Finished, just finished,' Trump said in an interview with Full Measure with Sharyl Attkisson that aired on Sunday.
'And by the way, I'm still here. To the best of my knowledge, here I am.'
Trump has faced criticism for repeatedly promoting the drug's use against the coronavirus and urging people to try it.
'What have you got to lose?' Trump has previously said.
President Donald Trump said in an interview that aired on Sunday he has finished taking his prescription of the controversial anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine
The US Food and Drug Administration has allowed healthcare providers to use the drugs for COVID-19 through an emergency-use authorization but has not approved them to treat it.
Trump revealed he had finished his prescription dose as a study showed that hydroxychloroquine was tied to an increased risk of death in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
In the study that looked at more than 96,000 people hospitalized with COVID-19, those treated with hydroxychloroquine or the related chloroquine had higher risk of death and heart rhythm problems than patients who were not given the medicines.
The study, published in the Lancet medical journal on Friday, showed no benefit for coronavirus patients taking the drugs.
The Lancet study authors suggested that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine should not be used to treat COVID-19 outside of clinical trials until studies confirm their safety and efficacy in such patients.
There is a frantic search for drugs to treat COVID-19 at the same