Stephen Lawrence's brother issues desperate plea for 'brave' witness to come ...

The brother of Stephen Lawrence has urged witnesses to his murder 27 years ago to come forward after Met Police announced it was shelving its investigation.

Today Stuart Lawrence spoke to Good Morning Britain, speaking about the tragic loss his family have suffered when Stephen was stabbed to death in a racist attack in Eltham in 1993.

Yesterday Scotland Yard announced it was filing the case as 'inactive' - eight years after Gary Dobson and David Norris were convicted of murder.

Stephen Lawrence, 18, was killed by a group of racists in Eltham, South East London, in 1993

Stephen Lawrence, 18, was killed by a group of racists in Eltham, South East London, in 1993

Mr Lawrence told GMB: 'Even though we've had two people convicted, it wasn't just two people there that night.  

'If you do know what happened, this is the time now to speak up. 

'In my mind that's the only way we're going to have true justice, if someone is brave enough to come forward and talk about what happened that fateful night and give us some closure, that's what we want as a family.

'You watch movies read story books about how injustices happen and in the light of day justice is served, even though that's not the best thing to bring back that person.

'But it gives the family some sort of closure.

'I know after this I'm going to get people on social media channels saying how we should "just get over it", but it's our lives. 

'I've lost my brother, my mum's lost her child, my dad's lost his child.'  

The 18-year-old was murdered by a group of racists while waiting for a bus in Eltham, South East London, in April 1993.

Gary Dobson

David Norris

Gary Dobson (left) and David Norris (right) were jailed for life at the Old Bailey in January 2012 after a trial that hinged on tiny traces of forensic evidence found years after the crime

Very sad: Baroness Lawrence, pictured, has spoken of her disappointment

Neil Lawrence, Stephen's father, has said 'the case isn't closed for me'

Stephen's parents, Baroness Lawrence and Neil Lawrence have expressed their disappointment at Scotland Yard's decision 

Met Police commissioner Cressida Dick, pictured with Baroness Lawrence in 2018, said the investigation into Stephen's murder will be 'periodically reviewed'

Met Police commissioner Cressida Dick, pictured with Baroness Lawrence in 2018, said the investigation into Stephen's murder will be 'periodically reviewed'

What happened to the five men named by the Daily Mail as Stephen Lawrence's killers?

GARY DOBSON (convicted)   

Gary Dobson was a teenage gang member turned drug supplier already behind bars for dealing cannabis by the time he faced trial over the Stephen Lawrence murder. 

A teenage racist, he had been caught on film making hate-filled remarks about black people. He was arrested and charged with Stephen's murder while he was in custody in 2010.

His previous acquittal for Stephen's murder was quashed by the Court of Appeal, allowing him to be tried for a second time.

He was forced to admit his racist views in 1994, when he was secretly recorded making vile comments to his friends on a camera planted in the skirting board of his council flat.

Two years earlier in November 1992, Kevin London, then a 16-year-old black youth, was confronted by a gang of white youths and claimed Dobson threatened him with a knife, although no full report was made to the police. 

DAVID NORRIS (convicted)

David Norris is a convicted racist and son of infamous south London gangster Clifford Norris. 

He was well known on the streets of Eltham by the time Stephen was killed and had had brushes with the law.

Within 24 hours of Stephen's murder he was named as a member of a knife-wielding gang in two anonymous notes left for police and by an informant who spoke to detectives.

A year earlier Norris had been charged with wounding after allegedly taking part in an attack on two brothers during which one was stabbed with a knife. The charge was dropped in January 1993, three months before Stephen's murder.

Then on March 18 he was accused of stabbing 20 year-old Stacey Benefield with a miniature sword during an scuffle in Kidbrooke, south London.

But Norris was cleared of involvement after a trial amid allegations there was contact between a juror and a minder connected to Norris. 

NEIL ACOURT (not convicted)

Knife-obsessed thug who has never provided a satisfactory alibi for his movements on the night of Stephen's murder.

He claims he was at home all night but police do not believe his story. His name was linked to Stephen's murder by a series of informants in the days following the killing.

When officers raided his home just a few minutes from the murder scene, they found a terrifying arsenal of knives. It was routine for him to carry blades while out and about in Eltham in the mid 1990s.

In 2001, he was convicted of possessing an offensive weapon, a baton, which he claimed he needed for protection from revenge attacks. The next year he and David Norris were jailed for 18 months for a racist attack on an off-duty black detective. 

JAMIE ACOURT (not convicted)

Along with his elder brother, revelled in the notoriety of being the other half of Eltham's version of the Krays. He too had an unhealthy obsession in knives.

Like his brother, he was also named by police informants as being one of the murderers. His account of the evening when Stephen died does not match his brother's story.

In a TV interview, he said he could not remember hearing of Stephen's death until he saw it on TV the next day. Yet Neil said in the same programme that someone came to the door to inform him of a local stabbing.

Of great interest to the police is the fact that Gary Dobson has admitted going to the Acourts' home about an hour after Stephen's murder, supposedly to borrow a Bob Marley CD. Police believe that they met to get their stories straight.

Detectives have been unable to gather forensic evidence linking him to the murder and he was not positively identified by witnesses.

LUKE KNIGHT (not convicted)

Luke Knight has always maintained his innocence while police suspect a 'sixth man' might have been part of the gang

Although police informants suggested he was one of the gang, he has always maintained his innocence.

Along with Neil Acourt, he was charged with murder in 1993 but the case was dropped within weeks because of doubts over the evidence. He was formally acquitted of murder at the 1996 private prosecution.

He was not in the dock with Norris and Dobson because of lack of credible identification evidence, no confession and no forensics linking him to the murder. Because of double jeopardy laws, police would need a major breakthrough to snare him.


Five men were named by the Daily Mail as his killers in February 1997, but it was not until January 2012 that two of the group were convicted of murder.

Gary Dobson and David Norris were jailed for life at the Old Bailey after a trial that hinged on tiny traces of forensic evidence found years after the crime.

Two of the three remaining former suspects, brothers Neil and Jamie Acourt, have since served jail time for drug dealing, while Luke Knight has remained free.

The original investigation failed to convict those responsible, and the campaign for justice by Stephen's parents Baroness Lawrence and her former husband Neville led to a public inquiry which branded the Metropolitan Police institutionally racist.

In a statement releasedy yesterday, Stephen's father Neville said: 'I had hoped that the conviction of two of the killers in 2012 would lead to new evidence coming to light and a prosecution of the other suspects.

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

'This has unfortunately not happened and, over the last few years, I have had to come to terms

read more from dailymail.....

NEXT Four Navy aircrew parachute to safety moments before E-2C Hawkeye plane crashes ...