Minister wants Sydney's New Year's Eve fireworks display to go ahead after ...

Sydney's New Year's Eve fireworks display could still go ahead this year - but there will be some big changes to the event Sydney's world famous New Year's Eve fireworks could go ahead amid pandemic NSW tourism minister Stuart Ayres gave his blessing for event after 'a crap 2020' Won't be a traditional New Year's Eve celebration with restrictions on crowds Comes after last year's celebrations went ahead despite widespread backlash

By Kylie Stevens For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 05:31 BST, 13 August 2020 | Updated: 06:00 BST, 13 August 2020

View
comments

A minister has given the biggest indication yet that Australia's most iconic New Year's Eve celebrations could go ahead after a 's***y and crap' 2020.

But Sydney's world famous fireworks will be like no other, affected by strict restrictions in the wake of the deadly coronavirus pandemic that has this year one everyone would rather forget.

New South Wales tourism minister Stuart Ayres has gave his blessing for the fireworks display on Thursday, a day after event organisers City of Sydney indicated it was working with the state government. 

The minister said it was ultimately the council's decision on whether the annual celebration watched by a billion people worldwide went ahead but gave his view in colourful terms. 

Sydney's iconic  New Year's Eve celebrations could still go ahead, despite the pandemic. Pictured is the colourful display ringing in the year 2020 on January 1

Sydney's iconic  New Year's Eve celebrations could still go ahead, despite the pandemic. Pictured is the colourful display ringing in the year 2020 on January 1

'I would love to see fireworks on the Harbour Bridge to celebrate 2021,' Mr Ayres told reporters on Thursday. 

'I think everyone's just had a pretty s****y 2020 and having a fantastic celebration of starting a new year is probably going to out a smile on people's faces.'

He warned it won't be a traditional New Year's Eve celebration and will be without the one million revellers that pack city's harbour foreshore.

'But if we get an opportunity to celebrate a new year, put 2020 behind us and

read more from dailymail.....

PREV British tourist dies after being pulled unconscious from the pool of a ...
NEXT Four Navy aircrew parachute to safety moments before E-2C Hawkeye plane crashes ...