New Zealand's deputy PM claims coronavirus outbreak started in quarantine breach

New Zealand's deputy PM reveals the source of country's shock coronavirus outbreak - a 'breach inside our quarantine system'

By Brittany Chain For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:58 BST, 13 August 2020 | Updated: 11:58 BST, 13 August 2020

View
comments

New Zealand's deputy prime minister claims the nation's shock second wave of COVID-19 spread throughout the community following a 'breach' inside the hotel quarantine system.

Winston Peters told local media a 'reliable' journalist made the shock allegations after the nation diagnosed a further 14 new cases on Thursday.

'It wasn't an official, I found out from somewhere else, but I think there's been a breach inside our quarantine system,' he told ABC 24 News.

'I think, when that comes out very shortly, in a matter of maybe less than day, we'll find out that was the case. But you don't always find out from your officials.'

Mr Peters said he doubted the virus had been bubbling under the surface within the community undetected. 

“I don’t know where this quarantine breach may have happened, but I think you can eliminate it being some new strain of COVID-19 that hitherto my country hadn’t seen,' he said.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's office

read more from dailymail.....

NEXT Four Navy aircrew parachute to safety moments before E-2C Hawkeye plane crashes ...