Australia's overseas travel ban is officially extended by three months 

Jetsetting Australians will have to wait until at least December 17 to enjoy an overseas holiday after the government extended its coronavirus travel ban. 

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said the decision to extend the Human Biosecurity Emergency Period was based on advice from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee. 

'AHPPC has advised that the international and domestic COVID-19 situation continues to pose an unacceptable public health risk,' he announced on Thursday.

'The extension of the emergency period is an appropriate response to that risk.

'The human biosecurity emergency declaration ensures the Government has the powers to take any necessary measures to prevent and control COVID-19 and protect the health of all Australians.' 

Australians will have to wait until at least December 17 before they fly go overseas again. Pictured is a returned traveller at Sydney International Airport on August 8

Australians will have to wait until at least December 17 before they fly go overseas again. Pictured is a returned traveller at Sydney International Airport on August 8

As well as overseas travel, the three month extended ban applies to entry of cruise ships into Australia.

The overseas travel ban has been in place since March 18 and had been due to end on September 17 before the three-month extension. 

Australian citizens and permanent residents are banned from leaving unless they're a resident of another country, an offshore freight, boat, aircraft or essential worker or a government official.

Others can apply for an exemption from the Department of Home Affairs.  

The overseas travel ban has now been in place for almost six months. Pictured is a Qantas plane leaving Sydney

The overseas travel ban has now been in place for almost six months. Pictured is a Qantas plane leaving Sydney

The announcement comes after Daily Mail Australia exclusively revealed Prime Minister Scott Morrison's plans for overseas travel bubbles, which remain on the agenda.

The federal government began travel-bubble talks with New Zealand in May but the plan was put on hold when coronavirus cases in Melbourne spiked, sparking a horror second wave of new infections.

Despite the three month extension, Mr Morrison told parliament on Thursday he will continue looking at ending border closures, declaring during Question Time that 'Australia was not meant to be closed.'

Scott Morrison would like to see overseas travel bubbles in place before the end of the year. Pictured: Tahiti in French Polynesia

Japan, which has low case number of coronavirus, wants to be part of a travel bubble with Australia. Pictured: Tokyo

Japan, which has low case number of coronavirus, wants to be part of a travel bubble with Australia. Pictured: Tokyo

Japan, Singapore and Pacific islands such as Fiji, which have low case numbers or zero community transmission, have said they would like travel bubbles with Australia. 

The prime minister is keen for arrangements to be in place by Christmas, but only if the health experts say it is safe.  

'The aim is later this year but it's dependent on the health advice,' a federal source told Daily Mail Australia.

A travel bubble deal with another country would allow Aussies to fly there without having to quarantine when they get home.

It would also allow tourists from that country to enter Australia without quarantine, boosting the economy and providing jobs.

The overseas travel ban has been extended. Pictured is a deserted Melbourne Airport

The overseas travel ban has been extended. Pictured is a

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Government is now RATIONING Covid tests: Health experts fear spikes will be ...
NEXT Four Navy aircrew parachute to safety moments before E-2C Hawkeye plane crashes ...