Woman severely burned by hand sanitizer exploding as she lit candle

Mom-of-three suffers horrific burns all over her body after hand sanitizer caught fire and exploded as she was trying to light a candle WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT Katie Wise was lighting a candle last Sunday when she burned her hand, which she had sanitized earlier  Bottle of sanitizer made contact with the flame and exploded, engulfing the single mom-of-three in flames  Wise suffered second- and third-degree burns to her body, including her face, hands and feet  She carried her disabled daughter and family dog out of the house  

By Snejana Farberov For Dailymail.com

Published: 20:08 BST, 4 September 2020 | Updated: 20:44 BST, 4 September 2020

6 shares

View
comments

A Texas woman is recovering at an intensive care unit from burns all over her body after she says a bottle of hand sanitizer exploded as she was lighting a candle. 

Speaking from her hospital bed, Kate Wise, said she had put some sanitizer on her hands on Sunday before attempting to light a candle at her home in the Austin suburb of Round Rock. 

According to the description of a GoFundMe campaign started by Wise's best friend, the woman accidentally burned her hand and jumped back. In doing so, she touched the bottle of disinfectant, which made contact with the fire and exploded like a 'bomb.'    

Katie Wise is pictured with her daughter before the accident

Wise on Sunday suffered horrific burns to her face and body (pictured in the ICU) when a bottle of hand sanitizer came into contact with fire and blew up

Katie Wise, a single mom-of-three from Texas (pictured left with her daughter), on Sunday suffered horrific burns to her face and body (pictured right in the ICU) when a bottle of hand sanitizer came into contact with fire and blew up 

She sustained second- and third-degree burns to 18 per cent of her body, including her legs and feet (pictured)

She sustained second- and third-degree burns to 18 per cent of her body, including her legs and feet (pictured) 

Wise allegedly had used an off-brand hand sanitizer from a store she trusted (stock photo)

Wise allegedly had used an off-brand hand sanitizer from a store she trusted (stock photo)

'Because of the hand sanitizer, it just lit my whole ... everywhere I had hand sanitizer on my hand, it just lit my hand with

read more from dailymail.....

NEXT Troubled girl, 16, takes her own life on school grounds