An outbreak linked to an indoor Maine wedding that breached local attendance limits last month has now resulted in three deaths and 147 infections.
The concerning uptick in cases came after the outbreak spread across three separate towns, and officials announced an investigation into a fourth location.
The outbreak began on August 7 when people attended the indoor wedding and reception in the small town of Millinocket, according to MCDC spokesman Robert Long.
The official ceremony took place at Tri-Town Baptist Church and around 65 people attended the reception at Big Moose Inn. The state's limit on social gatherings is 50 people.
The venue owner has since admitted that they misunderstood local capacity rules and overbooked the event, but by then it was too late.
Maine CDC officials announced that 147 coronavirus cases have been linked to an indoor reception at Big Moose Inn (pictured) in Millinocket, Maine
Pictured: a map of Maine showing where the outbreak has reached since it was first reported in August
In the last week of August, officials said there were 53 cases directly connected to the wedding.
By August 31 that number had risen to 123 and on Wednesday it reached 134 cases.
'One of the things we've learned over the past six months of working with outbreaks and COVID-19 is that no outbreak is an island,' Maine CDC Director Dr. Nirav Shah said during a
'What this really hammers home is that outbreaks are not isolated events. One outbreak can quickly lead to several more outbreaks, especially in a close geographic area.'
Maine CDC spokesperson Robert Long told NBC News that three people have died from the outbreak and none of them had even attended the wedding.
One of those victims includes Theresa Dentremont, an 83-year-old woman who died at Millinocket Regional Hospital on August 21 after contracting the virus.
Officials said Theresa Detremont (pictured) did not attend the Millinocket wedding before she was infected
Detremont did not attend the wedding, but hospital staff believed she may have been infected by someone who did.
Her 97-year-old husband Frank Dentremont, who is a WWII veteran and the oldest resident of resident of East Millinocket, was hospitalized at the same facility a few days later with COVID-19.
His son, Frank Dentremont Jr, revealed in a Facebook post that his father had since miraculously recovered and was due to be discharged from the hospital on Wednesday.
Dentremont Jr told the Washington Post that he recalled hearing about the wedding, but believed his father and stepmother would have been safe.
Theresa Dentremont, 83, died in Maine's Millinocket Regional Hospital on August 21 after becoming infected with coronavirus. Her 97-year-old husband Frank Dentremont was hospitalized at the same facility a few days later with COVID-19 but has since recovered
Theresa's stepson and Frank's son, Frank Dentremont Jr (above with the couple), recalled hearing about the wedding, which has now been linked to 123 of the state's coronavirus cases, but believed the couple would have been safe
The couple had been self-isolating at their home for much of the pandemic given they fell into the high-risk COVID-19 category.
'I had heard the stories about the wedding thing,' he said.
'I thought, "My dad and stepmom weren't there. They've been quarantining themselves; they'll be fine". Who could have known?'
He has also said he isn't angry at those who went ahead with the wedding. The bride and groom have not been publicly identified.
'Nobody did this consciously,' Dentremont Jr said. 'If they knew they were the ones at fault, I'm sure they'd feel terrible.'
He has described his stepmother as a 'vivacious woman and wonderful mom' who loved quilting and handing out handmade tree skirts as Christmas gifts.
The other two victims have not yet been publicly identified.
More than 230 miles south, the York County Jail in Alfred reported a number of cases related to the outbreak.
Infections rose from 18 to 72 cases after an employee