Coronavirus outbreak at charity football match soars to 61 confirmed cases

Coronavirus outbreak at charity football match soars to 61 confirmed cases after crowd of 300 were ordered to self-isolate More than 60 cases after match on and County Durham's border Crowds told to isolate after game at Burnside Working Men's Club on August 30 Up to 300 people are thought to have attended the fundraiser for cancer charity 

By Luke May For Mailonline

Published: 10:52 BST, 11 September 2020 | Updated: 10:52 BST, 11 September 2020

View
comments

A coronavirus outbreak at a charity football match has seen up to 61 people infected after a crowd of 300 were ordered to self isolate.

Initial testing revealed 28 people had been diagnosed with Covid-19 following a match to raise money for men's health charity Cancer Lads at Burnside Working Men's Club on the border of and County Durham.

Another 33 cases have been linked to the event on August 30, bringing the total up to 61.

Anyone who attended the event has been asked to self-isolate until midnight on September 13 - a fortnight from the date of the event.

A total of 61 Covid-19 cases have been linked to a charity football match at Burnside Working Men's Club, on the Sunderland - County Durham border, on August 30

A total of 61 Covid-19 cases have been linked to a charity football match at Burnside Working Men's Club, on the - County Durham border, on August 30 

Durham County Council and City Council are continuing to work closely with Public Health England to manage the public health response.

Amanda Healy, Director of Public Health at Durham County Council, said: 'We were aware that a large number of people are believed to have attended the event so we always expected the number of cases to rise.

'We would like

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Government launches task force to REOPEN Hammersmith Bridge after it closed to ...
NEXT Four Navy aircrew parachute to safety moments before E-2C Hawkeye plane crashes ...