By Kelsey Wilkie For Daily Mail Australia
Published: 22:20 BST, 15 September 2020 | Updated: 22:21 BST, 15 September 2020
Shalina Abdulhussein, 39, was found slumped over a bathroom sink on the three-level Lady Rose catamaran on February 2
A mother-of-two who died on a party boat on the Sydney Harbour was likely killed by poisonous gas which leaked onto the ship from a faulty sewage system, an investigation has found.
Shalina Abdulhussein, 39, was found slumped over a bathroom sink on the three-level Lady Rose catamaran on February 2, 2019.
She had been attending a birthday party on the ship before her body was discovered by a deckhand during the four-hour cruise.
Rumours quickly began swirling that she had been died of a drug overdose but her family vehemently denied those claims.
An investigation by the Office of Transport Safety has found a 'faulty waterless basin trap' within the sewage system led to the release of hydrogen sulphide into the cubicle.
Hydrogen sulphide is a colourless gas, which smells like rotten eggs. High-level exposure of the poisonous gas can be deadly.
The investigation found Ms Abdulhussein was likely overcome by the harmful gas before passing out and dying during the party, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Ms Abdulhussein had been on board the Lady Rose catamaran for a four-hour birthday party
Partygoers were treated for shock