The family of a teenager (pictured) involved in a horror stabbing attack at Pyrmont in July have offered up $700,000 surety to secure their son bail
The family of a teenager allegedly involved in a 'sickening' Pyrmont knife attack that left a father-of-one blinded have offered up a whopping $700,000 to secure his release.
Brett Halcro, 36, was walking through a park in Pyrmont, in inner-city Sydney, on July 31 when a group of up to nine teens allegedly attacked him, before one pulled a knife and 'sliced' him across the face up to seven times.
That teen then allegedly drove the blade 'deep' into Mr Halcro's right eye.
One member of the group who allegedly stomped on Mr Halcro's head as he lay unconscious has since been granted bail, it was revealed in court on Tuesday.
The teenager - who cannot be identified for legal reasons - will face strict conditions, including having to live with his parents, who put up $700,000 as a surety.
He will also be unable to use the internet except for school work, have to attend his classes every day, be unable to communicate with his co-accused and have a curfew between 8pm and 6am.
If he breaches any of his conditions his family could forfeit some or all of the money.
Father-of-one Brett Halcro, 36, pictured before the attack that left him blinded in one eye and in a coma for more than a week. He was allegedly knocked from his bike, stomped on and then 'sliced' across the face, before the knife was driven 'deep' into his right eye
A picture taken in Mr Halcro's hospital ward at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he was in a coma for one week, his family said
Police have so far arrested nine youths over the attack, with six of them appearing in the Surry Hills Children's Court on Tuesday. CCTV, DNA and mobile phone evidence will make up part of the prosecution case against them, the court heard
The teenager's lawyer said he hoped the teenager would be released 'this week'.
That is despite a police prosecutor describing the allegations against the teenager as 'involving violence at the highest order'.
'I don’t think I have read anything like this ever that goes towards the strength of the prosecution case,' NSW Police prosecutor Peter Mort said in July, on the teen's first day in court.
'I don’t need to amplify what is contained (in the court documents) other than to say it is disturbing.'
Six of the teens involved in the alleged attack - some from Sydney's most prestigious private schools - faced Surry Hills Children's Court on Tuesday, where it was revealed CCTV and DNA evidence will be crucial in the case against the them.
The court also heard that further health complications suffered by Mr Halcro will lead to a further delay in the case.
Police prosecutor Kai Jiang said on Tuesday it would be a further eight weeks before the matters of all the teenagers could return to court.
He said this was due largely to 'the sheer volume of CCTV footage that will be used in evidence'.
The alleged attackers and some friends - many of them students at some of Sydney's most prestigious private schools - had rented an Airbnb in the city for the night.
It is understood that two girls who were among the group spotted Mr Halcro riding a bike below them and told friends they had been 'raped' or 'groped' by him.
Pictured: One of the teens who allegedly took part in the attack. None of the youths can be named for legal reasons
When the alleged offenders faced Surry Hills Children's Court in July, police prosecutor Peter Mort calling it a 'sickening' attack and 'violence of the highest order'
A teen member of the gang allegedly sent these gloating, sadistic messages after the attack
The court heard that in the moments before the attack, one of the girls was asked: 'Is that the one who raped you?' to which she replied: 'Yeah that's the one'.
But NSW Police have said in court documents that the man was an 'innocent victim'.
Moments later the group of teenagers allegedly rushed downstairs and attacked Mr Halcro, knocking him to the ground before bashing and stomping him.
He was then left for dead in a park on the corner of Pyrmont Bridge Road and Wattle