A French tennis player has admitted she blundered by whingeing about Australian Open quarantine restrictions and promised to 'stay quiet for a while'.
Alize Cornet, 30, a player unlikely to make it to the business end of next month's Open, had ranted about 'insane' restrictions on Twitter after being one of 72 players placed in quarantine for 14 days.
The Grand Slam tournament is in crisis three weeks before the first ball is served with 72 tennis stars isolating in hotels and unable to practice because five people who flew in with players have tested positive for Coronavirus.
On Monday Ms Cornet backtracked, deleted her complaint and apologised, admitting she was 'anxious' and had been 'tactless' in not considering what Victorians had been through in the past year.
'After my last (deleted) tweet I feel like I need to apologize to you Australian people. 'Your reaction to this tactless comment made me realize what you've been through last year and how much you suffered.'Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
'I guess I feel a bit anxious about all this and I better have shut my mouth.'
French tennis player Alize Cornet has apologised for being 'tactless' after she called Australian Open quarantine protocols 'insane' on Twitter
Alize Cornet has been busy on twitter since being in lockdown ahead of the Australian Open
'But sometimes we make mistakes and the last thing I wanted to do was to hurt your feelings.'
'Don't be mad at me Aussie people, you've always been one of my favorite! I promise I'll stay quiet for a while. Take care.'
Previously Ms Cornet spat the dummy because she felt her training would go to waste.
'Soon, half of the players from the AO will actually have to isolate,' Ms Cornet complained in the since-deleted tweet.
'Weeks and weeks of practice and hard work going to waste for one person positive to Covid in a 3/4 empty plane. Sorry but this is insane.'Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
Cornet said that when she agreed to the tournament, players were told that they'd be separated into sections of 10 people on their flights. If one person within that section tested positive, players were informed they would need to quarantine
Cornet, 30, is an experienced player but not likely to be seeded for the tournament which begins next month in Melbourne
Ms Cornet said that when she agreed to the tournament, players were told that they would be separated into sections of 10 people on their flights.
If one person within that section tested positive, players were informed they would need to quarantine.
But those rules have since been amended to include the rest of the plane, she claimed.
Other players complaining included Swiss Belinda Bencic and Romanian Sorana Cirstea, who tweeted: 'I would need at least 3 weeks after in order to be in decent form again and compete at a high level!'
She also wrote: 'People complaining we are entitled. I have no issues to stay 14 days in the room watching Netflix. Believe me this is a dream come