A female actress who starred alongside Noel Clarke in Sky drama Bulletproof has claimed the raft of allegations against him are the British film industry's 'best kept secret.'
Some 20 women who knew Clarke in a professional capacity have accused the Kidulthood and Doctor Who actor, 45, of sexual harassment and bullying in a series of claims published by The Guardian on Thursday.
Clarke yesterday apologised 'deeply' for his actions and said he will be seeking professional help, but has 'vehemently' denied sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour.
Following the allegations, a swathe of Clarke's former co-stars have spoken out in support of the 20 women, including Christina Chong who appeared in his Sky One series Bulletproof.
Sharing the Guardian article to Twitter, she alleged the claims have been the 'UK film industry's best kept secret for years!'Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
She said: 'If in doubt, trust me, it's true. Why would 20 women put themselves through reliving their traumas to bring down an actor who isn't even a household name? He's a sexual predator #stoppable.'
A female actress who starred alongside Noel Clarke in Bulletproof has claimed the raft of allegations against him are the British film industry's 'best kept secret'
Following the allegations, a swathe of Clarke's former co-stars have spoken out in support of the 20 women, including Christina Chong (right) who appeared in his Sky One series Bulletproof. Pictured left: Mandeep Dhillon
Chong and Dhillon are seen alongside Clarke in a still from the Sky One drama Bulletproof
Sharing the Guardian article to Twitter, Chong alleged the claims are have been 'UK film industry's best kept secret for years!Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
Mandeep Dhillon, 30, who appeared as Kamali Khan, added: 'About f****** time. Don't @ me.'
Chong, 38, responded to her Instagram post: 'Took the words right out of my mouth.'
Both actresses later posted identical messages to their social media accounts, reading: 'We stand by the women sexually harassed by Noel Clarke #stoppable #timesup #metoo.'
Earlier, Bulletproof actor Ashley Walters said he was 'deeply saddened' by the allegations made against Clarke in a lengthy statement posted to Twitter.
He added: 'My thoughts are with the women who have come forward and told their awful stories, I am in shock and deeply saddened by what I have heard on a multitude of levels.
Mandeep Dhillon, 30, who appeared as Kamali Khan, added: 'About f****** time. Don't @ me'
Earlier, Bulletproof actor Ashley Walters said he was 'deeply saddened' by the allegations made against Clarke in a lengthy statement posted to Twitter
'I could never condone behaviour of this nature in nor out of the workplace, and whilst Noel has been a friend and colleague for several years, I cannot stand by and ignore this allegations.
'Sexual harassment, abuse, and bullying have no place in our industry.
'Every woman has the right to a safe workplace and moving forward I pledge my dedication to this.'
Noel Clarke always felt an outsider in the British film industry, claiming he wasn't ever welcomed.
But just last month he was welcomed by Bafta and handed a Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema in London on April 10.
Clarke lives in the capital with his wife, former make-up artist Iris Da Silva, and their three children with an estimated fortune of £3million.
Noel rose to fame with the The Hood Trilogy, semi-biographical films about life in West London where he grew up.
He said recently that he had to write his own roles after realising he'd never land the jobs he wanted as a black actor
From 2006-2016 Noel wrote, directed and starred in the acclaimed trilogy of films Kidulthood, Adulthood and Brotherhood.
The well-received movies follow a group of teenagers as they navigate life outside the law in Ladbroke Grove, West London.
Noel told Interview magazine: 'I grew up in Ladbroke Grove... which sounds really glamorous now, but at the time it wasn't very glamorous.'
'In the '60s and late '50s, it was a place where they shoved a lot of the black people that were coming over.'
And, in 2007, Noel set up his own production company Unstoppable Entertainment to try and promote more diversity in the film and TV industry.
He started the venture with his fellow actor Jason Maza, 33, who he later collaborated with on the next series he wrote - Bulletproof, which starred himself and Ashley Walters.
The pair originally struggled to get the show commissioned and Noel told Sky News at the time he didn't 'think the country was ready' for their positive depiction of two black lead characters.
Noel recently accepted his BAFTA Award after being praised for his TV show Bulletproof and the film series Kidulthood which sees black working class characters take centre stage.
The former Doctor Who star's prize came after he received the Rising Star Award in 2009.
Despite his huge success, with his ITV series Viewpoint set to begin later this month, Noel said he still feels like an outsider in the industry.
He added: 'This is about class. My films aren't [deemed] worthy. They're written, directed and acted by working-class people and they're about working-class people… For 20 years, I've been made to feel like I do not belong.
'The business has always tried to say I don't belong and push me out. I won't sit here and lay blame on people, because it's here' – at this point he taps his head – 'but that's part of what fuels me'.
Walters has starred as Ronnie Pike in all three seasons of Bulletproof, an East London crime drama, with filming on the fourth set to start later this year.
Following the allegations, which saw Clarke suspended from Bafta, the actor said in a statement: 'I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing.
'Recent reports however have made it clear to me that some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise.
'To those individuals, I am deeply sorry. I will be seeking professional help to educate myself and change for the better.'
His comments came amid reports that Bafta spent two weeks deciding how best to respond to allegations against Clarke prior to presenting him with an award.
The film academy was made aware of the allegations of sexual harassment, bullying and verbal abuse shortly after it announced its intention to honour the director with an award for outstanding British contribution to cinema, according to The Guardian.
It added that senior figures within the film academy were worried about the potential reputational damage to the organisation over its handling of the claims against Clarke.
Bafta chair Krishnendu Majumdar was reportedly aware there could be as many as 12 women making allegations against Clarke on the eve of the awards ceremony.
He sought to speak to anyone with first-hand experience of Clarke's alleged misconduct and told an industry figure he was 'trying to do something about' the situation as it could 'destroy' Bafta 'in the court of public opinion', the newspaper said.
Majumdar is said to have described the allegations as a 'desperately difficult situation for us' as Bafta 'cannot act as judge and jury'.
He also hosted a Zoom call with figures including Bafta chief executive Amanda Berry to discuss how to respond to the allegations, the newspaper said.
Bafta has said it will not comment on the latest claims in The Guardian.
However, the academy previously said in a letter to its membership it was not aware of the allegations relating to Clarke before announcing he would be given the award and it was in the following days they received anonymous emails about the allegations from second or third-hand sources.
Meanwhile, Clarke's mother Gemma Clarke said she was proud of her son becoming an actor and only gave him this piece of advice when he was growing up: 'Just don't thieve or go to jail.'
She told MailOnline: 'I am proud of him and I'm still proud of him but I don't know what's going on.
'I haven't managed to speak to him because his phone is switched off but I have spoken to his wife and kids. I'm not telling you how she is but the kids were in school today. He's not at home. I don't know where he is.
'I can't get through to him. I'm confused and upset but I can't comment until I've spoken to him. I've tried to ring him but his phone is switched off.'
Mrs Clarke said Noel had wanted to be an actor since he was a child and filmed parts of Kidulthood in his mother's home in a block of council flats and the grounds outside, which lie in the shadow of Grenfell Tower.
Born in Trinidad, she moved to Britain in 1969 and became a paediatric nurse in 1973. Noel was born in Hammersmith Hospital.
'I wasn't upset that he didn't go into the medical profession,' she said. 'He always wanted to be an actor. I was very proud of him.' She said his acting career began in 2003 with a role in Auf Weidershen Pet.
An actress friend of Noel Clarke told MailOnline yesterday that the 20 women accusing him of being a 'sexual predator' are pursuing a racist 'witchhunt' as the actor was sacked by Sky, suspended by Bafta and criticised by a co-star who backed his alleged victims.
Actress Jahannah James, a star in one of Clarke's hit movies, Brotherhood, is one of his alleged victims named in the Guardian, claiming she was secretly filmed doing a naked audition that was so upsetting she still cries 'years later'
Miss James (pictured left and right) is claiming she was secretly filmed doing a naked audition for Brotherhood that was so upsetting she still cries 'years later'
The actress, who asked not to be named, said the 45-year-old actor, writer and director's fall from grace is because 'no one likes it when a man of colour gets to the top'.
Clarke, who is married to former make-up artist Iris Da Silva with