By Michael Powell And Chris Hastings For The Mail On Sunday
Published: 01:49 BST, 2 May 2021 | Updated: 01:49 BST, 2 May 2021
The chairman of Bafta feared that giving an award to Noel Clarke could ‘destroy’ the organisation, it emerged yesterday.
Senior figures had been tipped off about Clarke’s alleged behaviour, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony in the absence of direct evidence from victims.Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer
Bafta first learned of the allegations on March 29 when award-winning film director Sally El Hosaini, talent manager Pelumi Akindude and Bafta-winning actor James Krishna Floyd wrote a joint letter to the organisation’s chiefs.
According to the Guardian, the letter said they were ‘extremely concerned’ about its intention to give Clarke the award given the first-hand accounts they had heard.
The chairman of Bafta feared that giving an award to Noel Clarke could ‘destroy’ the organisation, it emerged yesterday
While Bafta chairman Krishnendu Majumdar acknowledged that the issues raised were ‘extremely serious’, he said it was a ‘difficult situation’ to deal with without detailed evidence – adding: ‘We cannot act as judge and jury on this.’
Bafta’s lawyers advised the board that the scant information it had received so far did not warrant suspending the award. They also reportedly questioned whether the organisation, which is a charity, had a legal duty to investigate such matters.
By the evening of April 9, less than 24 hours before Clarke