Prince William kept in the dark about Noel Clarke sex allegations

Bafta president Prince William was 'kept in the dark' about the Noel Clarke sex allegations ahead of the actor-producer's recognition by the academy.

The Duke of Cambridge's speech was cancelled because of the death of his grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh but it is reported he had planned to praise Bafta for its diversity.

Prince William had shared his 'frustration' at the lack of diversity at the white-dominated Baftas last year and announced a 'full and thorough review'.

Prince William pictured delivering his speech last year in which he expressed 'frustration' at the academy's lack of diversity

Noel Clarke with his Bafta for Outstanding British Contribution to cinema

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

Bafta President Prince William (pictured, left, at last year's ceremony) was 'kept in dark' about allegations facing actor and producer Noel Clark (right) and was due to praise the academy for its diversity before his speech was cancelled after the death of his grandfather last month

Clarke receives Outstanding British Contribution To Cinema Award from Bafta on April 10

Clarke receives Outstanding British Contribution To Cinema Award from Bafta on April 10

But as the academy awarded Noel Clarke for his 'outstanding British contribution' to cinema, its president was set to praise Bafta, unaware that Clarke faced a string of sexual misconduct allegations, the Sunday Times reports.

Earlier this week, The Guardian published allegations of misconduct from 20 women who knew Clarke in a professional capacity.

Clarke has previously said he 'vehemently' denies allegations of sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour but said he will be seeking professional help and has apologised 'deeply' for his actions.

Senior figures at Bafta had been tipped off about Clarke’s alleged behaviour, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony in the absence of direct evidence from victims.

Bafta first learned of the allegations on March 29 when award-winning film director Sally El Hosaini, talent manager Pelumi Akindude and Bafta-winning actor James Krishna Floyd wrote a joint letter to the organisation’s chiefs.

According to the Guardian, the letter said they were ‘extremely concerned’ about its intention to give Clarke the award given the first-hand accounts they had heard.

Noel Clarke, who vehemently denies the allegations, pictured with his wife, former make-up artist Iris Da Silva, at the 70th EE British Academy Film Awards at Royal Albert Hall in 2017

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

Noel Clarke, who vehemently denies the allegations, pictured with his wife, former make-up artist Iris Da Silva, at the 70th EE British Academy Film Awards at Royal Albert Hall in 2017

But Prince William was not made aware of the allegations until last week, according to the Sunday Times.  

Since the allegations were made public, Bafta has suspended Clarke's membership of the organisation and his outstanding British contribution to cinema award, which he was handed at the film academy's awards.

On Friday evening, ITV pulled the concluding episode of drama Viewpoint, which starred the 45-year-old.

Broadcaster Sky, which has aired three series of Clarke's series Bulletproof, has also

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Former Berks fire company officials charged with theft and deception
NEXT Convoy of carnage: MAX HASTINGS writes about one of the most dramatic forgotten ...