Federal judge says Air Force is '60% responsible' for 2017 mass shooting at ...

Federal judge says Air Force is '60% responsible' for 2017 mass shooting at ...
Federal judge says Air Force is '60% responsible' for 2017 mass shooting at ...

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Air Force is '60 percent' responsible for a 2017 Texas church shooting that left 26 people dead because the military branch didn't disclose gunman Devin Patrick Kelley's history of domestic violence to the FBI

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Air Force is '60 percent' responsible for a 2017 Texas church shooting that left 26 people dead because the military branch didn't disclose gunman Devin Patrick Kelley's history of domestic violence to the FBI

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Air Force is '60 percent' responsible for a 2017 Texas church shooting that left 26 people dead because the military branch didn't disclose the gunman's history of domestic violence, which could've prevented him from buying firearms.

The ruling comes after survivors and victims' families sued the government claiming it was negligent in allowing Devin Patrick Kelley to purchase firearms. 

On November 5, 2017, Kelley shot and killed two people outside First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before walking inside to kill 24 more and then taking his own life.

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

It is the worst mass shooting in the history of Texas and the worst shooting at a place of worship in American history. 

Kelley worked in logistics and supply in the Air Force before being dishonorably discharged in 2014 after he admitted to assaulting his wife and infant stepson in a 2012 court martial.  

He was able to purchase guns - including three he used in the 2017 massacre - after he was discharged because his past criminal record was not submitted to the FBI database. 

On November 5, 2017, Kelley shot and killed two people outside First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before walking inside and killing 24 more. Police are pictured at the scene after the massacre

On November 5, 2017, Kelley shot and killed two people outside First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before walking inside and killing 24 more. Police are pictured at the scene after the massacre 

Photo of an AR-15 assault rifle posted on the Facebook page of Devin Patrick Kelley

Photo of an AR-15 assault rifle posted on the Facebook page of Devin Patrick Kelley

In his ruling on Wednesday, US District Judge Xavier Rodriguez in San Antonio said the Air Force was '60 percent responsible' for the massacre.

'The trial conclusively established that no other individual — not even Kelley’s own parents or partners — knew as much as the United States about the violence that Devin Kelley had threatened to commit and was capable of committing,' Rodriguez said of the Air Force in his ruling.

Reuters reports that the judge only found Kelley 40 percent responsible for the massacre. 

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

Pictured: U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez

In his ruling on Wednesday, US District Judge Xavier Rodriguez (pictured) in San Antonio said the Air Force was '60 percent responsible' for the massacre

The ruling comes after a 10-day bench trial in April. 

Rodriguez also wrote that 'it is more likely than not that Kelley would have been deterred from carrying out the Church shooting' if the information had been entered into the database.

The Air Force has not returned requests for comment on the judge's ruling, according to the Albuquerque Journal.

Tom Jacob, who represents some plaintiffs in the federal lawsuit, said it was a big step for those 'endured so much loss and then had to endure their government trying to avoid responsibility'.

Kelley purchased four guns from federally licensed dealers in Texas and Colorado, three of which he carried into the church.

The military veteran passed the required background checks because the Air Force never informed the FBI about the assault on his wife and her child.

The Air Force previously acknowledged that in addition to failing to submit the information in the FBI database for Kelley, it found several dozen other such reporting omissions. 

It is the worst mass shooting in the history of Texas and the worst shooting at a place of worship in American history

It is the worst mass shooting in the history of Texas and the worst shooting at a place of

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Aussie finds out the hard way how ferocious an otherwise adorable wombat can be ...
NEXT Expectant mothers who take pain meds have higher risk of baby being harmed, ...