How a baby boy died in Sydney's Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital an hour old

How a baby boy died in Sydney's Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital an hour old
How a baby boy died in Sydney's Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital an hour old
Shocking series of failures that led to a baby being ventilated in hospital with laughing gas instead of oxygen - killing him just an HOUR after he was born John Ghanem was born in Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in July 2016 But he was immediately in distress as umbilical cord was looped around his neck  Doctors ventilated him to save his life, but he was given nitrous oxide instead A coronial inquest will investigate his death and failures that led to it 

View
comments

Sonya and Youssef Ghanem went to Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in July 2016 expecting to bring home a little brother for their three children.

Instead, their baby John died just under an hour after he was born.

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

Their grief was compounded when they learned their newborn had been ventilated not with oxygen, as the operating theatre's gas outlet was labelled - but instead with nitrous oxide.

An inquest has begun into John's death and the 'shocking chain of events' at the hospital that led to it.

Sonya Ghanem arrived at the hospital on the morning of July 13, 2016 after her waters broke, counsel assisting the inquiry Donna Ward said in her opening address on Monday.

Her obstetrician decided she should have an emergency caesarean section because of a risk of infection and her baby's slowing heartbeat.

Sonya and Youssef Ghanem went to Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in July 2016 expecting to bring home a little brother for their three children. Instead they left in unimaginable grief

Sonya and Youssef Ghanem went to Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in July 2016 expecting to bring home a little brother for their three children. Instead they left in unimaginable grief

Fatefully, she was wheeled into the hospital's Operating Theatre 8. John was delivered there at 11.54am.

He gave a weak cry but was not breathing properly. There was a loose loop of cord around his neck.

Doctors began desperate efforts to save his life, first rubbing him with a cloth, then applying a NeoPuff resuscitator.

When using room air did not work,

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Apple removes anti-vaxx dating site Unjected from store for violating new code ...
NEXT US fencer, 29, accused of sexual assault, confronts teammates after they wear ...