Jamie Durie's dreams of knocking down a 1960s cottage and native trees to build a sprawling waterfront mansion for his family have been hit by a major setback.
The celebrity garden guru and former Backyard Blitz host has copped backlash over plans to transform his waterfront lot at Avalon Beach on Sydney's northern beaches by knocking down the original home to build a six storey $3million 'family home'.
Durie's development application included a proposal to remove 17 native trees, sparking a series of community objections to the local council.
The household name spent Monday in full damage control defending his plans in several television interviews, claiming an arborist's report missing from the submission to council sparked a misunderstanding.
But fallout from the saga continues to rage with Northern Beaches Council now revising his DA and recommending Durie amend the design of his proposed home to protect more trees.
Jamie Durie (pictured with fiancee Ameka) has been ordered to revise the design of his proposed new home
The council has reportedly issued a 'landscape referral response' ordering Durie submit an alternative layout and building design.
The council report recommends 13 of the 26 trees stay, including six which have 'moderate value'.
Five she oaks have 'low value' while three privet trees and a sweet pittosporum have been given the green light to be torn out.
The DA will be referred to the Local Planning Panel.
'Council considers issues raised in public submissions regarding development applications in the assessment of each matter and advice from specialist officers is sought as part of the assessment process,' council chief executive Ray Brownlee told Daily Mail Australia in a statement.
'This DA will be referred to the LPP for determination when the assessment of the application has been completed.
'At this stage we do not have a time frame in which it will go to the LPP.'
BEFORE: Jamie Durie hopes to knock down the original 1960s cottage (pictured) to build a six storey dream family home
...AFTER: Jamie Durie's plans to redevelop his the beach property into this multi-level, sprawling facility attracted more than 30 objections from the community
Durie claims those who opposed the proposal haven't read a arborist's report which had been missing from the council submission, which stated the number of trees that would be removed had been reduced from 17 to nine.
The report was added to the online DA on the council's website on Monday, along with Durie's submission of the revised plans.
He has promised to revise the redevelopment plans but says some of the unhealthy trees on the property need to be knocked down due to termite infestation.
'There's been a group of new environmentalists standing in front of the house and protecting noxious weeds,' Durie told the A Current Affair.
'I was mortified when I read some of the submissions.'
'I think if some of the new environmentalists that were standing out on the street, ah, knew that they were actually standing here preventing environmental weeds from being taken down that had now turned into trees, they'd be a little embarrassed.'
The former Manpower stripper, who has lived in the area for more than 20 years, said he wants the community to be just as proud of the redeveloped home as he will be.
The council received more than 30 objections to the proposal, with residents expressing concerns the development will set a precedent that would gradually see most native trees in the area chopped down.
Northern Beaches Council has recommended the garden guru amend the proposal to keep some of the native trees earmarked for demolition
Durie proposes to knock down the ramshackle existing cottage on block he purchased for $2.3m five years ago
'We're going to end up like the eastern suburbs with mini RSLs and concrete everywhere,' resident Miranda Korzy told the program.
'I don't want