Teenage boy 'sparked explosion that destroyed his home after using DEODORANT ...

Teenage boy 'sparked explosion that destroyed his home after using DEODORANT ...
Teenage boy 'sparked explosion that destroyed his home after using DEODORANT ...

A teenage boy suffered burns to his arms and stomach when his deodorant sprayed into a candle and exploded into a fire that destroyed his family's home. 

Atrin Behazadi, 13, was putting on deodorant in his bedroom when it hit a tea light candle and sparked a blast. 

Dozens of families fled after the blaze at 97 Whitgift House on Westbridge Road, which is on the top floor of the 20-storey block in Battersea, south London, yesterday at around 8pm. 

Ten fire engines and 70 firefighters tackled the blaze and got it under control in around an hour by 9.05pm.         

Atrin's mother, Sarah, 43, a dental technician, said: 'It was my flat that caught fire.

'Both windows exploded and the door was blown off its hinges. It was broken in half.

Dozens of firefighters tackled a blaze that broke out on the 20th floor of a tower block on Westbridge Road in Battersea, southwest London. Atrin Behazadi, 13, was putting on deodorant when the spray hit a tea light candle and exploded

Dozens of firefighters tackled a blaze that broke out on the 20th floor of a tower block on Westbridge Road in Battersea, southwest London. Atrin Behazadi, 13, was putting on deodorant when the spray hit a tea light candle and exploded

The London Fire Brigade said a woman escaped from the property before rescuers arrived and is being treated for possible smoke inhalation

Atrin was rushed to hospital with burns on his stomach and arms and 50 other people living in the tower block were evacuated

The London Fire Brigade said a woman escaped from the property before rescuers arrived and is being treated for possible smoke inhalation. Atrin was rushed to hospital with burns on his stomach and arms and 50 other people living in the tower block were evacuated

'My daughter was the one who called 999 and told them about the fire.

 'I went to do a quick shop when my daughter Atis called me and said, 'Mum, something exploded'.

'My son, Atrin, was spraying himself with deodorant in his room and it hit a tea light candle.' 

She added: 'I'm so proud she acted so quickly. She's saved so many lives.

'The paramedics told my son to wrap himself in a blanket so he wouldn't go into shock.

'They both went downstairs but I was already in the lift so when I got there, they weren't there. I thought that was it, it was done, something had happened.  

'He's okay now, but the doctors have told me to keep an eye on him in case he gets a fever.

'The smoke alarm in the apartment didn't work and there aren't any in the corridors.'  

Her daughter Atis, 15, said: 'I was in my room and suddenly my door burst open. I saw a bright light from the flame and heard him scream.

'I was paralysed for a few seconds but then he burst into my room. He said his body was burning and that we needed to get out.

'The fire calmed down, but there was still a flame on the cabinet. I wanted to put it out but there was glass all over the floor.

'I called my mum and 999 immediately.' 

The windows of the flat on the 20th floor were ripped out by the fire, which burnt out 80 per cent of the three-bedroom property

The windows of the flat on the 20th floor were ripped out by the fire, which burnt out 80 per cent of the three-bedroom property

Station Commander Pete Johnson, who was at the scene, said: 'Crews were faced with a lot of smoke issuing from the top of a block of flats on arrival'

Station Commander Pete Johnson, who was at the scene, said: 'Crews were faced with a lot of smoke issuing from the top of a block of flats on arrival'

The fire was declared to be under control at around 9.05pm, approximately an hour after the first 999 calls came in

The fire was declared to be under control at around 9.05pm, approximately an hour after the first 999 calls came in

Firefighters tackling the blaze last night. Haji Safiya Mayow, 53, a housewife who lives on the 19th floor said she 'couldn’t hear any alarms'. Her son Idris, 30, said there were 'no extinguishers, no alarms, no fire exits or signs anywhere' in the building

Firefighters tackling the blaze last night. Haji Safiya Mayow, 53, a housewife who lives on the 19th floor said she 'couldn't hear any alarms'. Her son Idris, 30, said there were 'no extinguishers, no alarms, no fire exits or signs anywhere' in the building

Downstairs neighbour Diane Gray, 61, said she was the first to attend to the boy after the explosion.

'I could hear the boy going ‘ah, ah, ah’ and running up and down in their lounge,' she told MyLondon. She said the skin on the side of Atrin's stomach had started to peel off. 

Paramedics rushed Atrin to hospital with burns on his stomach and arms and 50 other people living in the tower block were evacuated.

Pictures taken from outside the block showed huge flames and clouds of smoke billowing out of the flat's windows. 

Crews said the fire, which has since been brought under control, had affected a three-bedroom flat, with almost 80 per cent of the property on fire. 

Those who fled the building said no alarms went off and there were not any extinguishers in the building. 

Wandsworth Council spokesman Charlie Masson-Smith told MailOnline this was because extinguishers could give the impression residents should fight a fire themselves and alarms were not needed in communal areas 'because that's not where fires happen.' 

He said none of the Council's buildings had fire alarms or extinguishers. 

He dismissed the need for more fire safety measures and added 'no one suffered any serious injury', even though 13-year-old Atrin suffered burns that left his skin peeling off.

He said: 'Trained firefighters tackle fires, that's why there aren't alarms.

'All these buildings are designed to confine the fire to one single dwelling. The building's safety features did exactly what they were supposed to do.' 

He said it was best to stay put in the event of a fire to minimise the chance of colliding with a firefighter coming up the block's stairs.

He said it was 'not a question of fire escapes', although he maintained the building did have fire exits and the Council supplied smoke detectors.

He said five flats were affected by the fire and the

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Wednesday 25 May 2022 08:40 AM Boris braces for Sue Gray's Partygate report TODAY trends now
NEXT Wednesday 25 May 2022 08:49 AM Nepean Hospital in chaos over mysterious 'infection outbreak' trends now